[SOLVED] How can I get my windows power plan to work properly again?

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
So months ago, I would constantly leave my PC on 24/7. I would constantly be using my windows power plans "Power saver" & "AMD High performance" depending on what im doing. If im not playing any games I'd use power saver, this would limit my CPU speed to around 2.1 or 2.4ghz. the AMD High performance setting would let my cpu run at max settings, smartly. I believe normally it would make my pc hover around 4.0ghz, but then if I started gaming, it would automatically "boost" it a bit to like 4.2Ghz. I loved it because since I run my PC 24/7,it was great to be able to use power saver whenever im not gaming. However randomly one day about 2 months ago, it just completely stopped working and im not sure why. Changing any of the power plans doesnt do anything for my CPU speed. it just stays at exactly 4.0ghz no matter what.

Well today I formatted my SSD and reinstalled windows (For other reason) and one of the things I was looking forward to again was hoping my power plan would work again. However even tho I haven't installed anything besides like my basic drivers/windows update, its still not working. my Cpu speed is staying at 4.0 no matter the plan i select.
Does anyone here know why this may be happening, or how I can fix it? My thoughts initially was because i installed my motherboard/cpu software that allows cpu speed tweaks, but I didnt even install that this time. My only other thought is maybe it was a windows update? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10 pro 64bit
RTX 2080 Super
Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB ram

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Have you gone in and reset the motherboard for default values from the BIOS?
no, do you think the bios is the culprit?

Edit. so after tweaking some settings with failing, i just decided to take your advice and completely do the default settings, and it worked!
Im so happy now that the power plans are working properly!
Last thing i need to figure out is how to make windows actually shut down when i shut down.

Last edited: