Question How can i get over 60fps on 60 hz display with no screen tearing?

Derpster25

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
Hello i am new to pc so these might be dumb questions but i have a 60hz display and a pc with intel i5 and a gt1030 and im able to get well above 60 fps in some games but unless i have vsync on its has horrible screen tearing is there a way to be able to play at above 60 fps with no tearing. i know 60 fps is fine since i only have a 60hz display but there is still extra "smoothness" when at 100 or more fps. BTW my display is just a generic one without any form of vsync. Thanks in advance

Derpster25

Prominent
Apr 29, 2019
No. Screen tearing occurs when the refresh rate and FPS are out of sync so by definition having more than 60fps on a 60Hz screen can cause tearing.

However instead of V-Sync try just capping the FPS in the game to 60/59. V-Sync introduces a noticeable lag.
when i put a 60 fps cap in csgo it still had horrible tearing should i just stay with vsync with all my games or what?

OctaBotGamer

Prominent
Apr 30, 2019
I have a system almost as same as you and I am fine playing with V-Sync turned off but I do sometimes turn it on (triple buffered) and I Don't experience any screen tearing whatsoever( except for some occasional lags sometimes) then what's the case with you?

oczdude8

Distinguished
You can still get screen tearing even if your fps matches exactly with the refresh rate of your monitor. This arises because the time at which the GPU sends a new picture frame is not synchronized with the time the monitor refreshes. This is what V-sync fixes, hence the "sync" in the name. The only way to ensure you get no tearing is to keep v-sync on.

If you want higher fps without tearing, you should upgrade your monitor. You can also reduce the visibility of screen tearing if you can get 200+ fps, since the tears will be fixed very quickly. This option requires upgrading your GPU.

Useful read: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/35d01h/what_causes_screen_tearing/

Reactions: TJ Hooker