[SOLVED] How can i get the best out of my headphone's audio quality ?

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hi guys,

So few months back i bought Razer Kraken gaming headset but i'm not satisfied with the quality of sound it gives.
Like it's not bad but it's not great either considering the price of it.
I had Asus headset before and i feel that it doesn't give the sound as it should.
I tried to install there Surround software but it doesn't support my headphones which sucks big time from there side.
I have FX Sound equalizer and the quality has improved but i hear static noise whenever the bass gets loud or there is treble so i wanted to ask if you guys have any solution on how can i get the best out of my headphones.
Any software any tweaks and stuff will appreciate it
Thank you

Solution
An EQ isnt going to make the headsets quality better really.

Yes it does, there is an improvement. Wont make cheap headphones into expensive headphones but having EQ is better. I've been using the same EQ setup for years, on pc speakers/headphones and also home theater for each individual speaker. Without EQ, there's only bass and treble, the default EQ band is middle flat line right across. Sounds terrible in comparison.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Which headphones do you have exactly?

Quality isn't usually as good with true surround headsets being that the multiple drivers are smaller to fit inside the cup and typically aren't as good at handling lower frequencies compared to the usual stereo headphone with larger drivers.

With Eq software, are you manually adjusting the band sliders or using presets? Maybe give this a go, this is how i like it.

First couple left are low frequencies then mids, then to highs. All Eq band software are the same. Low frequencies bars adjust depending on volume levels, more so with the second bar may have to lower it a little more.

0GdERpK.png

Reactions: hadiahmed29

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
I find single driver headsets much better quality sound and better surround sound / sound location. My daily driver is a beyer dynamic headset, which is rather a hify headphone with attached mic.

I understand you probably don't want to buy a new headphone now that you've just gotten one but that's the best recommendation I can give to buy a headset from an audio company rather than a pc peripherals company for the next time.

I wasn't pleased with software 'optimizing' solutions in the past.

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Which headphones do you have exactly?

Quality isn't usually as good with true surround headsets being that the multiple drivers are smaller to fit inside the cup and typically aren't as good at handling lower frequencies compared to the usual stereo headphone with larger drivers.

With Eq software, are you manually adjusting the band sliders or using presets? Maybe give this a go, this is how i like it.

First couple left are low frequencies then mids, then to highs. All Eq band software are the same. Low frequencies bars adjust depending on volume levels, more so with the second bar may have to lower it a little more.

0GdERpK.png

Yeah like at first it sounded nice with all the bass but as the time goes it just feels that it's not special than my earlier headset.
Which EQ software are you using though?
I have tried these settings and im using it as they made the sound with more clarity.
Thank you for it.

hadiahmed29

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I find single driver headsets much better quality sound and better surround sound / sound location. My daily driver is a beyer dynamic headset, which is rather a hify headphone with attached mic.

I understand you probably don't want to buy a new headphone now that you've just gotten one but that's the best recommendation I can give to buy a headset from an audio company rather than a pc peripherals company for the next time.

I wasn't pleased with software 'optimizing' solutions in the past.

Thank you for the response
What headphones are you using and which company will you recommend for it.

I'm thinking of going with Bose or Sennheiser this time what are you thoughts on it and is 200$ enough for Bose or Sennheiser ones ?

Generally, headsets, and Razor products in general, offer lackluster value for money. The last Logitech headset I had was just bad for the money, no better way to put it. An EQ isnt going to make the headsets quality better really.

I would reccomend these in your price category. I have considered getting these myself, and I have heard they are excellent. You will want the 80 ohm version so that you can use them without a standalone AMP or a soundcard with a very amplified line output.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm, Studio Headphones - Newegg.com
If you need a mic, there are solutions for that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
An EQ isnt going to make the headsets quality better really.

Yes it does, there is an improvement. Wont make cheap headphones into expensive headphones but having EQ is better. I've been using the same EQ setup for years, on pc speakers/headphones and also home theater for each individual speaker. Without EQ, there's only bass and treble, the default EQ band is middle flat line right across. Sounds terrible in comparison.

Solution

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Generally, headsets, and Razor products in general, offer lackluster value for money. The last Logitech headset I had was just bad for the money, no better way to put it. An EQ isnt going to make the headsets quality better really.

I would reccomend these in your price category. I have considered getting these myself, and I have heard they are excellent. You will want the 80 ohm version so that you can use them without a standalone AMP or a soundcard with a very amplified line output.
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm, Studio Headphones - Newegg.com
If you need a mic, there are solutions for that.
I disagree a little. I have had 0 issues with their mice. I'm really pleased with their mice.

As for the recommended headset, keep in mind, it has no microphone attached to it. 80 Ohms is correct but I find the beyerdynamic still hard to drive. Need the volume quite up.

Thank you for the response
What headphones are you using and which company will you recommend for it.

I'm thinking of going with Bose or Sennheiser this time what are you thoughts on it and is 200$ enough for Bose or Sennheiser ones ?

200 Should be plentyful to buy a good quality headphone.

I myself am using a beyerdynamic mmx 300
https://www.brack.ch/beyerdynamic-headset-mmx-300-2-generation-schwarz-486642?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=!cc-pssh!l-d!e-g!t-pla!k1-it!z-it_multimedia_channable&utm_term=&adgroup_id=95297775786&ad_type=pla&prod_id=486642&campaign_id=9422718872&gclid=CjwKCAjwvMqDBhB8EiwA2iSmPJ2z3aXObTZlW0pU38O6JxpOALiukx2nYENtVRIRezz9iifWrbbFiBoCK5QQAvD_BwE&hc_fcv=YHP6IwKYAtRgm4cj~M6Du7og4RNvub--Hzzzzzzzz~LZtwAl-33LTDlU6Azzzzzzzz

however, they seem overbudget by 25%

They had a cheaper model with microphone but I cant find it anymore.

I'd say the sennheisers are going more into the direction of clear precise sound while the bose are more going the consumer way by applying more base boost and filters after the fact.
The BD are somewhere in the middleground to my taste. Quite neutral, good amount of base. Ifind them well balanced.
But don't take my word for it, I own neither of those two brands.

I have a hard time to recommend a headset as it is such a matter of taste and preference. It's really best if you can go into a store and try around.

If you decide for the Beyerdynamic, be aware that these have really heavy drivers for consumer headphones so you might be surprised you have to max out the sound volume. I generally find the loudness enough although its nice to have some headroom. That might require an audio card if you are into really loud music..

Yeah like at first it sounded nice with all the bass but as the time goes it just feels that it's not special than my earlier headset.
.... snip

You just got used to hearing them. For audio there is often not "better" but "just as good and different sounding". What you think of as bad or good is not really what others may feel with the same headset.