How can I get to my optimum CPU speed?

tayeke

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Alright so I have been building my computers for a while now, but I really feel like I need to understand this a bit better, since I work on computes, I sell them, I assemble them, use them 90% of the day.
So I downloaded CPU-z, because I am very confused by all this multiplier and double data rate and how to match all my components speeds. I was looking at the relationships and on a basic level I get it all now, but I noticed my CPU is core 2 quad rated at 2.8GHZ, why does CPU-z say it's running at 2.2GHz?
Some background info is that I was having frequent BSODS with the fastest memory I could buy last year, so I added in some of my old slower memory and it never crashes. So it's my theory that the memory must be making it slower.

How can I customize the speeds of my components to get the full potential of my CPU, without causing crashes and issues?

Here is some info I know:
*Core Speed 2.2GHZ
*Multiplier 6
*Bus Speed 333.6MHZ
*Rated FSB 1333MHZ (I'm sure the box said 1600, but I think that musta been because it is like the overclockers edition)
*4 stick of Memory running Single Channel (why not dual?)
*Slot#1 - 1GB PC2-6400(400mhz)
*Slot#2 - 2GB PC2-8900(555mhz)
*Slot#3 - 1GB PC2-6400(400mhz)
*Slot#4 - 2GB PC2-8900(555mhz)
Are matched pairs always scattered like that (in software) or did I go insane and put them in not side-by-side in the wrong slots?

mi1ez

Splendid
What CPU and what motherboard? The only Core2Quad CPUs that run a 1600FSB are the QX977x chips, and they have a rated speed of 3.2GHz

Google Intel Speedstep.

The RAM looks like it's in matched slots, but should really be the same across all 4 slots. As it is, it'll run at the speed of the slowest.

tayeke

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Alright that is what I expected to hear about the ram running slowest, shouldn't my bus be running at 400 then not 333 (feel like a noob).
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
-EVGA Nforce 750i SLI FTW (not utilizing the SLI anymore & yes it's actually marketed as the 'For the Win' edition)

tayeke

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
So what does this all mean for my memory? This is where I get lost on how the buses relate to my memory speed.

BTW thank you very much for looking that up, atleast I know the board matches the chip.

With the CPU at stock FSB, set the memory clock freq to 667 MHz. or twos time the FSB. Try dropping all the mem timing to 5-5-5-15 and increase the RAM voltage by .1 volts.

What you are looking for with CPUZ is dual channel operation at a 1:1 ratio. Get that fixed at stock speed before you try to overclock.

tayeke

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'm a little scared to touch timings and voltages, but I'll take a look into that... You know it's amazing how outdated all the good articles on this topic are online. You just have to read and read and read these forums to learn anything truthful or useful.

But yeah I looked and the bus in CPU-z is 333 and the memory is clocking at 667, so I got that now. WOOT