[SOLVED] How can I give USB ports on my motherboard more power?

Nov 27, 2020
I've been trying to use my Quest 2 with Oculus link via a USB 3 connection, however, for some reason I can only get a USB 2 connection out of my USB 3.1 gen2 type c on my motherboard (ASRock B450 Itx). I believe that this is a power draw issue because on one specific case, after plugging in my Quest and waiting for a few minutes, the USB controller on my motherboard shut off, disconnecting all other USB devices. Furthermore, I'm using a 16ft type c to type c cable, which may have a lot of resistance given it's length.

Is there are way to provide these ports more power? I'm hesitant to buy an active cable or powered hub.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I've been trying to use my Quest 2 with Oculus link via a USB 3 connection, however, for some reason I can only get a USB 2 connection out of my USB 3.1 gen2 type c on my motherboard (ASRock B450 Itx). I believe that this is a power draw issue because on one specific case, after plugging in my Quest and waiting for a few minutes, the USB controller on my motherboard shut off, disconnecting all other USB devices. Furthermore, I'm using a 16ft type c to type c cable, which may have a lot of resistance given it's length.

Is there are way to provide these ports more power? I'm hesitant to buy an active cable or powered hub.

Thanks in advance!
Start by trying a 1 to 3 ft cable.
This page says you are limited to 3m --...

kanewolf

Titan

Thanks in advance!
Start by trying a 1 to 3 ft cable.
This page says you are limited to 3m -- https://www.cablestogo.com/tech/usb-3-1/type-c-info

Solution

TRENDING THREADS