How can I have a wired connection to my wireless router?

May 10, 2018
Hi, I'm not that great with tech so was hoping someone could help me out. I want to connect my PC to my wireless router so it has a wired connection, my router is in my living room so in order to do this I would have to get a massive Ethernet cable and run it through the house which isn't ideal.

I thought I could use a WAP to connect to the router wirelessly and then directly connect my PC to that and have a wired connection but after having a look online that doesn't seem to be the case.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way I could do this without using a massive cable?

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Powerline adapters do work, but you won't have the connection speed and they rely on correct house wiring (3-wire, phase, neutral, and ground), nothing wrong with giving them a try and returning them if not what you need.

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
If you want a wired connection you will need to run the cable. CAT 5e or CAT 6 isn't considered massive, just a pain to run. You could try a powerline adapter, but those aren't worth the effort unless that's your only option.

May 10, 2018

My PC is connected to the router wirelessly already, but i would like to connect it directly for better connection and security.

May 10, 2018

Hi, just had a look at some powerline adaptors online and that seems to be exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. Is there some kind of issue with them? you say they aren't worth the effort.

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Powerline adapters do work, but you won't have the connection speed and they rely on correct house wiring (3-wire, phase, neutral, and ground), nothing wrong with giving them a try and returning them if not what you need.

ASK THE COMMUNITY