How can I hide or put in systray TaskBar (Application Runn..

I have a program that I have running all the time, Unfortunately it does not
have a setting to hide its Button is the TaskBar.

Not sure exactly what this area is called.
I am not referring to the quick launch or the systray (small Icons far
right, I know these can be hidden Always or inactive etc)
its the button that comes up when a application is running.

Is there a way, even with a registry change to either stop it coming up at
all or hide it after I have run it at startup.

Thanks I/A
Greg.

Greg Reed wrote:
> I have a program that I have running all the time, Unfortunately it
> does not have a setting to hide its Button is the TaskBar.
>
> Not sure exactly what this area is called.
> I am not referring to the quick launch or the systray (small Icons far
> right, I know these can be hidden Always or inactive etc)
> its the button that comes up when a application is running.
>
> Is there a way, even with a registry change to either stop it coming
> up at all or hide it after I have run it at startup.
>
> Thanks I/A
> Greg.

Just for clarification. The Taskbar is the strip that includes the Start
Button, the "blank" area to the right and the Notification Area (formerly
called the Systray or System Tray) where the clock resides.

The Quick Launch is an optional toolbar that can be enabled or disabled.

Unless a program has an option to "run in the background" or "minimize to
the tray" it will always place a default "running program button" on the
Taskbar. You may be able to change this setting in the registry, but this
would be a global setting that would hide all running programs, which is not
what you want to do.

MVP Kelly has a tweak on her website that can reduce the size of the Taskbar
buttons. This would also be a global setting.

Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP:

Line 97, Decrease the size of Taskbar Buttons. (There is also an undo file
there)

You might also want to check out her Taskbar Repair Tool Plus on Line 298.
This tool has many options for tweaking the taskbar.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Hi Greg,

Right-click on an empty place on the taskbar and select properties. Click on the 'customize' button
under the taskbar settings and select the icon that you wish to hide always. After selecting the
specific icon, choose "Always hide" from the drop-down menu next to the icon. Ok your way out.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Greg Reed" <greg@fpkennels.com> wrote in message news:cddil0$n59$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
>I have a program that I have running all the time, Unfortunately it does not
> have a setting to hide its Button is the TaskBar.
>
> Not sure exactly what this area is called.
> I am not referring to the quick launch or the systray (small Icons far
> right, I know these can be hidden Always or inactive etc)
> its the button that comes up when a application is running.
>
> Is there a way, even with a registry change to either stop it coming up at
> all or hide it after I have run it at startup.
>
> Thanks I/A
> Greg.

Thanks for reply

but its not the icons in TaskBar/SysTray but the big buttons that come up
when a program is running, Between the Quick Launch Icons & The Far Right
Systray Icons.

These programs do not show up in the customize list.

Thanks anyway
Greg.

"Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Greg,
>
> Right-click on an empty place on the taskbar and select properties. Click
on the 'customize' button
> under the taskbar settings and select the icon that you wish to hide
always. After selecting the
> specific icon, choose "Always hide" from the drop-down menu next to the
icon. Ok your way out.

> --
>
> Anando
> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
> http://www.mvps.org
>
> Folder customizations
> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>
> Protect your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>

> "Greg Reed" <greg@fpkennels.com> wrote in message
> >I have a program that I have running all the time, Unfortunately it does
not
> > have a setting to hide its Button is the TaskBar.
> >
> > Not sure exactly what this area is called.
> > I am not referring to the quick launch or the systray (small Icons far
> > right, I know these can be hidden Always or inactive etc)
> > its the button that comes up when a application is running.
> >
> > Is there a way, even with a registry change to either stop it coming up
at
> > all or hide it after I have run it at startup.
> >
> > Thanks I/A
> > Greg.

Hi,

If you mean the 'taskbar buttons' then there is no way to hide those (natively in Windows XP). You
may want to search for some third-party programs that may accomplish this for you.

--

Anando

"Greg Reed" <greg@fpkennels.com> wrote in message news:cddpu1$gvo$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Thanks for reply
>
> but its not the icons in TaskBar/SysTray but the big buttons that come up
> when a program is running, Between the Quick Launch Icons & The Far Right
> Systray Icons.
>
> These programs do not show up in the customize list.
>
> Thanks anyway
> Greg.
>

> "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> Right-click on an empty place on the taskbar and select properties. Click
> on the 'customize' button
>> under the taskbar settings and select the icon that you wish to hide
> always. After selecting the
>> specific icon, choose "Always hide" from the drop-down menu next to the
> icon. Ok your way out.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anando
>> Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
>> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>> http://www.mvps.org
>>
>> Folder customizations
>> http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
>>
>> Protect your PC!
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>>

>> "Greg Reed" <greg@fpkennels.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a program that I have running all the time, Unfortunately it does
> not
>> > have a setting to hide its Button is the TaskBar.
>> >
>> > Not sure exactly what this area is called.
>> > I am not referring to the quick launch or the systray (small Icons far
>> > right, I know these can be hidden Always or inactive etc)
>> > its the button that comes up when a application is running.
>> >
>> > Is there a way, even with a registry change to either stop it coming up
> at
>> > all or hide it after I have run it at startup.
>> >
>> > Thanks I/A
>> > Greg.

no, no, no, no

Download "TRAY.EXE" at this site.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/software/tray

Run it, then right-click on the icon in the tray for help. It will
tell you how to set up an executable to run out of the tray the next
time that you run it.

I haven't used it in a while, but I just tried it and it worked fine.

DK

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 11:15:58 +0100, "Greg Reed" <greg@fpkennels.com>
wrote:

>I have a program that I have running all the time, Unfortunately it does not
>have a setting to hide its Button is the TaskBar.
>
>Not sure exactly what this area is called.
>I am not referring to the quick launch or the systray (small Icons far
>right, I know these can be hidden Always or inactive etc)
>its the button that comes up when a application is running.
>
>Is there a way, even with a registry change to either stop it coming up at
>all or hide it after I have run it at startup.
>
>Thanks I/A
>Greg.

"If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten." ---George Carlin

kelly

Hi Greg,

Minimize Any Program to System Tray (Notification Area) - Line 159

All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award