Question How can I hook up a monitor with APU if mobo has no hdmi port

Sep 3, 2019
I have an x370 taichi I wanted to pair with ryzrn apu 3400g and just now realized there is no hdmi port on the mobo, getting a new mobo is out of the question

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have an x370 taichi I wanted to pair with ryzrn apu 3400g and just now realized there is no hdmi port on the mobo, getting a new mobo is out of the question

You don't. While that board supports the CPU the lack of ports means there is no physical way to use the onboard graphics.

Use your vga port

There IS NO VGA port on this board or any other. Might I suggest researching the mentioned hardware before offering suggestions, so you can provide correct advice.

Reactions: SF0614R18
Sep 3, 2019
There IS NO VGA port on this board or any other. Might I suggest researching the mentioned hardware before offering suggestions, so you can provide correct advice.

Glad you said it. I was seething for about 24 hours after he said that. I'm surprised I kept my mouth shut. This is a help forum not a bad advice, sarcasm forum. But on the same token, I thought I'd make myself look stupid if I said something dumb.

I went and looked at the diagram of the motherboard, Googled it, Binged it, total crap. Basically this guy wasted my time. YOLO.

I have to send my Asus B450-I Gaming for an RMA and that'll be ready for integrated graphics. There is hope.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Sep 3, 2019
this is the board and no onboard video connector so you need to get a gpu https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/index.asp

Thank you. I had tiny hope there might be like a USB solution or something. Have you guys ever heard of something called USB Type C "alt-mode"? Are you telling me, as a matter of fact, not opinion, that it does not work with a 3400G ryzen apu in an x370 taichi (with or without some added adapter?)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019
Glad you said it. I was seething for about 24 hours after he said that. I'm surprised I kept my mouth shut. This is a help forum not a bad advice, sarcasm forum. But on the same token, I thought I'd make myself look stupid if I said something dumb.

I went and looked at the diagram of the motherboard, Googled it, Binged it, total crap. Basically this guy wasted my time. YOLO.

I have to send my Asus B450-I Gaming for an RMA and that'll be ready for integrated graphics. There is hope.
Actually LOL he might be right I still don't even have a clue. Asrock doesn't discuss it in specific enough detail. I think there is one very vague sentence about using a VGA card or something, but it's hard to really get comfortable about it. I'm in disbelief that Asrock felt that one sentence would suffice. They suck I'll never buy another Asrock again. Even if it is on their web site, I can't find it and at this point I'm tired of looking. I was trying to test the waters with different manufacturers but my Asus seems user friendly, slightly better support. All my problems began with a simple BIOS update that threw my entire multi computer setup off balance, more ** started getting messed up. Eh....just not worth it from my perspective. My * has been thru the ringer, I think it rises to the level they should consider sending me something for free. My mind has been a wreck for the past couple months from neverending computer issues. My own family started pointing the finger at me, it threw my whole life into disarray.

[mod edit: language]

Last edited by a moderator:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Actually LOL he might be right I still don't even have a clue. Asrock doesn't discuss it in specific enough detail. I think there is one very vague sentence about using a VGA card or something, but it's hard to really get comfortable about it. I'm in disbelief that Asrock felt that one sentence would suffice. They suck I'll never buy another Asrock again. Even if it is on their web site, I can't find it and at this point I'm tired of looking. I was trying to test the waters with different manufacturers but my Asus seems user friendly, slightly better support. All my problems began with a simple BIOS update that threw my entire multi computer setup off balance, more ** started getting messed up. Eh....just not worth it from my perspective. My * has been thru the ringer, I think it rises to the level they should consider sending me something for free. My mind has been a wreck for the past couple months from neverending computer issues. My own family started pointing the finger at me, it threw my whole life into disarray.

Hes not right. by VGA card they mean a discrete GPU you would put into the PCIe slot. There 100% is NO way to plug a monitor into this motherboard. Being that the board is an X370 this is not surprising. When Ryzen was released there were no APUs. I have an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero that I am typing this on to you right now that has no monitor connections. Its also X370, 1st gen enthusiast, they never expected someone to install an APU in one.

As a side note, please as per the rules do not use profanity here on this forum. I had to edit some choice words out of your reply.

Sep 3, 2019
Hes not right. by VGA card they mean a discrete GPU you would put into the PCIe slot. There 100% is NO way to plug a monitor into this motherboard. Being that the board is an X370 this is not surprising. When Ryzen was released there were no APUs. I have an ASUS Crosshair VI Hero that I am typing this on to you right now that has no monitor connections. Its also X370, 1st gen enthusiast, they never expected someone to install an APU in one.

As a side note, please as per the rules do not use profanity here on this forum. I had to edit some choice words out of your reply.
Well I have a GPU for crying out loud! What do I have to do to use it as a port for the integrated graphics to pass through. I'll just throw an old GPU in and you tell me the correct settings.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I understand you're frustrated, but there's a pattern here of getting very angry and lashing out. The poster above gave bad advice, but it's a public forum and you need to understand that there's such a thing as good faith advice that turns out to be bad; there's no need to make an entire post about how bad that user's advice was.

Similarly, the anger at ASRock is misplaced. They have a giant graphic of the board which is found within 15 seconds of reading and there clearly are no graphics ports on the motherboard. And when you looked at the specs for Graphics and saw N/A and the specs for Rear Panel I/O and seen no graphics ports, you should have seen this. These aren't obscure references; when building any computer, seeing that you have the necessary ports for your existing monitor is basic fact-checking.

There's no "easy out" here. If you use this motherboard, you have to use a discrete GPU. There's no such thing as plugging in an old GPU and having integrated graphics "pass through" that old GPU. If you plug in an old GPU, it's the old GPU's graphics that you will get.

You would have had trouble with this motherboard even if you had the correct ports. x370 motherboards typically need BIOS updates before they can run Ryzen CPUs in the 3000s.

Reactions: CountMike

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Well I have a GPU for crying out loud! What do I have to do to use it as a port for the integrated graphics to pass through. I'll just throw an old GPU in and you tell me the correct settings.

First off, I understand you're frustrated, but you need to tone it down. I and others are here to HELP you for free, on our own time. Respect is compulsory. There are no "correct settings", there is no physical way to do what you want to do (use the integrated Graphics by "passing it through" an old GPU). You can use the old GPU for graphics, but depending on what it is it may not perform nearly as well as the integrated graphics of your APU (which is about equivalent to a GT 1030).

On top of that as mentioned above that APU may not even work in that board without a BIOS update, which you can't do on that board without a supported CPU. You need BIOS P5.60 or better.

I understand you said that replacing the board is not an option, but using this board with a 3400G is mostly not an option either. So you need to decide which one you want to replace. You either need to get a newer B450, X470, or X570 board, or replace the APU with a supported CPU and get a GPU (or at a minimum get a BIOS update done at a computer shop, then get a GPU).