[SOLVED] How can I improve my system in the most beneficial way for Adobe Premiere Pro CC?

erin.draper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018
Hello, please can you help me with figuring out why my PC is being so slow. I seem to have good parts. But it just does not run as well as I would expect. It runs games really well on ultra, but when it comes to editing and rendering I am sure it should be better. I have not got much money for upgrades. But if it is necessary what would be the best thing to upgrade? At the moment I am thinking it is probably the ram, but I am not sure.

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7
1700 65 W 8/16 Core 3.7 GHz 4 MB CPU - Black

MOTHERBOARD
Asus ROG STRIX B350-F
Socket AM4 AMD B350 DDR4 S-ATA 600 ATX Gaming Motherboard - Black

MEMORY
Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB
CMR16GX4M2C3000C15 (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz C15 XMP 2.0 Enthusiast RGB LED Illuminated Memory Kit - Black

STORAGE
WD 512 GB PCIe SSD Read up to 2050 MB/s - Black
AND
1TB HDD

VIDEO CARD
ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060--O6G 6 GB Graphics Card - Silver

CASE
Game Max Titan PC Gaming Case with 2 x RGB Front Fan, 1 x Rear Fan and Remote Control - Black

POWER SUPPLY
Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified PSU (UK) Hybrid Modular Power Supply Unit

WINDOWS 10

Solution
How did you check how fast your system "should be" with rendering? What was your testing method? Did you compare benchmarks to CPU reviews to see what they got vs what you got?

Your CPU is fine, you have enough RAM for most things, you have a fast hard drive. Nothing else you can do unless you want to get an even faster CPU.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018
Most editing and rendering programs benefit from increased core count. I'm not an AMD expert so not sure if your current mobo/psu can handle one of the higher core count ryzen chips. And depending on the size of the files you work with, it may benefit you to go up to 32gb ram.

erin.draper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018

Hi Luckymatt42 thank you for your reply. Yes I did buy my CPU with that in mind. The Ryzen 7 I have has 8 cores and 16 threads, which is quite a lot I believe. Sounds like Ram would be the way forward for me then.

How did you check how fast your system "should be" with rendering? What was your testing method? Did you compare benchmarks to CPU reviews to see what they got vs what you got?

Your CPU is fine, you have enough RAM for most things, you have a fast hard drive. Nothing else you can do unless you want to get an even faster CPU.

Solution

erin.draper

Commendable
Jan 2, 2018

Hi There, cheers for the message. Personal experience really. I used to have a laptop dell xps 15 which would do certain things faster than this computer. Like rendering warp stabiliser, and things like on the desktop, the thumbnails for pictures and videos take a very long time to load. When I check my task manager a lot of the time the Ram or CPU are at 100 percent usage. But other times it is not at 100 percent usage but it still seems to be running slow. Which I find quite strange really.

If you are having issues with general use like thumbnails taking a while to pop up, there is no way it's an issue of the hardware speed in general, your system should open things pretty much instantly. I am guessing you have a Windows/software issue there. Run a virus scan, check msconfig to see what is getting loaded and running in the back-ground, make sure Windows and drivers for system are updated. Check temps to make sure system is not throttling due to too much heat.

luckymatt42

Upstanding
May 23, 2018

If you have a very large folder with lots and lots of thumbnails (think like 1000+ high res pictures), it can indeed take quite a while to load, mine does same thing. Faster cpu may help, more memory will almost certainly help (both system memory and gpu memory)

TRENDING THREADS