Question How can I improve performance/remove bottleneck?

Jul 14, 2022
I have a prebuilt omen HP I got a few years ago. The specs can be found here. I have an RTX 2080, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4, and 500W power supply.

My performance in many games isn't as good as I think it should be. I find myself only able to run high at 1080P (opposed to ultra or 2k) on games that aren't considered very demanding. According to some "bottleneck calculator" websites I need to upgrade to an i9 CPU as my current one doesn't let my RTX 2080 do all of its magic.

Since I don't have $330+ to spend on one, is there something else I could do? Another part I could replace or some overclocking trick? Maybe some sort of software reset that will make my older PC work like its newer?

USAFRet

Titan
You want to concentrate on the first part of that - "improve performance"

The second part - "reduce bottleneck" is totally irrelevant.
"According to some "bottleneck calculator" websites "....ignore those completely.

In what specific way is your performance lacking?

Jul 14, 2022
You want to concentrate on the first part of that - "improve performance"

The second part - "reduce bottleneck" is totally irrelevant.
"According to some "bottleneck calculator" websites "....ignore those completely.

In what specific way is your performance lacking?

I struggle to consistently hold 60fps on high settings on multiple games. More demanding shooters like Squad, but even simpler games like Roblox or Rising Storm 2.
Sometimes it starts at 60 but within 15 minutes it goes down to 40's.

I assumed because I have a good GPU there must be some other subpar part of my PC thats holding it back. I don't know much so of course could be wrong.