[SOLVED] How can I increase HDD lifespan?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
Bought a new hard drive and installed the OS into it again.

I was wondering how I can increase its lifespan as much as possible.

Also does is it recommended to install OS and games in two separate HDD?

Thanks 😊

Solution
Have a known good backup routine established.
So that when it DOES die (and it will) your data is not affected.

Use it until it dies.

If it dies within the warranty period, free replacement, and recover the data from your backup.
If it dies past the warranty time limit, replace and recover the data from your backup.

When will it die?
Maybe a week from now, maybe a decade from now.

USAFRet

Titan
Have a known good backup routine established.
So that when it DOES die (and it will) your data is not affected.

Use it until it dies.

If it dies within the warranty period, free replacement, and recover the data from your backup.
If it dies past the warranty time limit, replace and recover the data from your backup.

When will it die?
Maybe a week from now, maybe a decade from now.

Solution
Listen to USAFRet says. I think the question in itself makes little sense because if you have personal and important files stored, you have to take into account the hdd can break down at any moment.

When that is said, yes - for many hdd models it indeed is possible to lengthen the expected lifespan. I don't exactly remember the term for this, but hdd's have a setting that controls how aggressive/fast the head moves, mostly for A - reduce sound, and B - getting down search time. This settings also have an affect on the hdd lifespan - at least in theory.

Another factor to consider is the number on power on/off. The numbers of running hours for a hdd should be optimal when it turns on and stay on for the rest of its working time. But for a home user that of course is less likely anyway.