[SOLVED] How can I install a " regular" shaped mounthole water cooler in my motherboard that has a rectangle mount hole shape?

Jul 23, 2019
I hate how hp made their motherboards long ago, and I happened to get one of theirs, this was perfect because I was going for a budget build.it was going well with an air cooler but I got a good deal on a water cooler. The problem is the mount holes for cpu cooler is in the shape of a rectangle, and the brackets for my water cooler only came in squares. Can anyone help me with this? Does anyone also know if the am4 mount retension brackets fit this motherboard?

Solution
I don't even think the AMD brackets will work, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Ultimately, yes, I think you'll need a new motherboard if you desperately want to use that cooler.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd used the same rectangular shaped mount for everything prior to am4, so am2, am2+, am3, am3+, fm etc. All the same bracket.

Intel has used the same square mounting bracket for all of the lga115x series.

So depending on exactly which cpu and water cooler you have will determine the bracket needed.

So what cpu? What water cooler? If the water cooler is new, it'll have all 3 brackets. If it's used, then the prior owner probably threw them away. There are replacements online.

Jul 23, 2019
Amd used the same rectangular shaped mount for everything prior to am4, so am2, am2+, am3, am3+, fm etc. All the same bracket.

Intel has used the same square mounting bracket for all of the lga115x series.

So depending on exactly which cpu and water cooler you have will determine the bracket needed.

So what cpu? What water cooler?
My cpu is i5 2500k and Im trying to install a Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC120E RGB

Jul 23, 2019
My cpu is i5 2500k and Im trying to install a Cooler Master MasterLiquid LC120E RGB
And the mother board Im using is an hp z210, but looks like it have the same mount hole shape as amd boards but I cant confirm it. I would hate to buy the rectangle retension bracket made for amd boatds only for it not to fit in my hp motherboard.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For that bracket contact CoolerMaster support. It's a standard Intel bracket for that pump. Looks like an X with a square in the middle. The I5 2500 is most definitely Intel lga1155. Not rectangular Amd. Those pumps almost always come with Intel brackets pre-attached.