How can I keep graphic card and case cool?

MidNiteMoon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I don't know much about computers so please don't get frustrated if I ask lots of questions.:) I have a PC that was built in 2007 (motherboard P5VD2 MX SE). I was using the motherboard's graphic card, but because my PC kept rebooting I bought a graphic card. Per the suggestion from a guy from Tiger Direct I bought this fanless card. My computer was still rebooting while watching videos/movies. After reading on Google that reapplying the thermal paste on the CPU can help, I did that. That seems to have solve the problem about rebooting (at least so far), but my computer froze while watching a movie. My guess is because the graphic card gets really hot. I have two 80mm fans on the case connected to the power supply. One blowing out the back of the pc and the side one blowing in.

I also have an old video card that until recently it wouldn't (I thought it was damaged) work with my computer for some reason. It wasn't until I purchased a new one (cheaper) that I decided to try it and it worked out of the blue. But my computer would still reboot with it, so I thought maybe the motherboard couldn't handle the card. I haven't tried it after reapplying thermal paste yet.

What case fans can I use to keep the graphic card and inside of the case cool? I'm on a budget so it can't be something expensive. Like I said, I'm a newbie.:( Can I use two 120mm fans instead of the two 80mm? Would that fix the problem?

I installed Speed fan even though I don't know to use it to change the fan speeds etc. I wanted to see the temperatures on my PC. Right now the temps are:

System 45C
CPU 357C
HD0 37C
Aux 46C
GPU 60C
Core 0 49C
Core 1 48C

I keep the computer case open and I keep the power supply outside to keep the case cooler... :??:

Processor Intel Core 2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz
Windows 7

Solution
Hi -

Yep, ask lots of questions, that's the best thing to do, and I'll tell you there are lots of folks in these forums who are really sharp at helping. (For the record, I don't consider myself one of them, but I hope my thoughts are helpful for you anyway.)

Lots of reasons this could be happening, and I guess if I were trouble-shooting this one, I'd start by making sure that I had all of the most recent drivers and firmware updates.

But going from the overheating angle, have you been able to confirm that this is the culprit?

I'm not sure what you're using to monitor temps, but I'm suspicious about the CPU temp you've listed. 357 degrees C?!? :) I've used HWMonitor from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to get temps...
Whether or not you can place 120mm fans i your case depends on the layout of the mounting holes. Take a tape measure and measure the distance between mounting opposing holes. If it equals 120mm (12cm) then you can use that size fan.

GorfTheFrog

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hi -

Yep, ask lots of questions, that's the best thing to do, and I'll tell you there are lots of folks in these forums who are really sharp at helping. (For the record, I don't consider myself one of them, but I hope my thoughts are helpful for you anyway.)

Lots of reasons this could be happening, and I guess if I were trouble-shooting this one, I'd start by making sure that I had all of the most recent drivers and firmware updates.

But going from the overheating angle, have you been able to confirm that this is the culprit?

I'm not sure what you're using to monitor temps, but I'm suspicious about the CPU temp you've listed. 357 degrees C?!? :) I've used HWMonitor from http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to get temps from my machine.

To stress-test stability under a heat load, you can run Prime95 from http://mersenne.org/ to test your CPU and Furmark from http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ to test your graphics. Lots of discussions on these forums about verifying and trouble-shooting and stress-testing stability using these tools. If you heat it up and it craters then you've got a pretty good indication that it's an overheating problem. If it is stable using these tools, then you're looking at something else as the culprit.

Ummm, don't run both Furmark and Prime95 at the same time! :)

Last thought, keeping your PSU outside the case does keep some heat out of the case, but keeping the case open may also impact proper airflow to keep the components cool. Said another way, the case is usually engineered to force airflow around the components in order to cool them.

Toms Hardware did an excellent two-part article a while back on air cooling that you may also find helpful.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-heatsink,3053.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-air-pressure-heatsink,3058.html

Hope this helps, and reply back to the thread to let us know what you found.

Good luck!

Solution

MidNiteMoon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Thanks to everyone for all the replies.:) I decided to test the PC with the power supply installed inside the case with both cards. PC rebooted within 30 minutes while watching Netflix non HD using Google with the fanless card. Then installed the old card, the PC rebooted after 2 minutes and it kept rebooting until I opened the side. Then it rebooted but it took more time.

I installed CPUID. Those temps are with the old card (Sapphire 2600 HD Pro PCI-E). You can see in the picture of the motherboard that the CPU it's really close to the power supply, so it really doesn't let the air circulate well. I think that's one the reason why the PC keeps rebooting or freezing. What do you guys think?

I also included a picture of the power supply specs. Should I get a new one or this one is ok?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
1) Unless you can determine that the PSU is failing, there would be no need for a larger one. You are using on-board graphics or a 75W graphics card, either which should be OK with that size PSU. Shut downs and re-boots can often be the result of the PSU being under powered or failing under load. Unfortunately, testing the voltage with a VOM meter or PSU tester won't test it under load. Do you have access to another PSU to test with?

2) If that is the normal orientation of the PC with the PSU above the CPU, the PSU's heat it generates should not effect the CPU. The heat is contained inside the PSU case and exhausted out via its own fan. The warm air would rise up away from the CPU. Is the fan in the pic the exhaust fan or intake?

3) The core temps in your pics don't appear to be high enough to indicate a overheating CPU. It appears you have a small case so the temps are about what I would expect. Not high enough to cause a shut down/reboot. The CPUTIN is the tCase temp (temp of the pkg). The C2D 4400 processor has a tCase max of 61.4C, so your CPUTIN temps are all within range.
C2D E4400: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20E4400%20HH80557PG0412M%20%28BX80557E4400%29.html

MidNiteMoon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
My computer still reboots or freezes when I'm watching a movie, video or have too many tabs open. The only way it doesn't reboot/freezes while I'm watching something is if I have the AC on and I have a fan blowing inside the case (with the side open) if it's really hot outside. I'm still using the old card because to me it is better than the new one I just bought. I basically bought a new card for no reason because I'm still having the same problem. :fou:

I reapplied the thermal paste for the second time in less than two weeks (see picture below) to see if that helps, but nothing. Could it be the hard drive that when it gets a bit warm makes my PC reboot/freeze? Before when I was using the graphic card from the motherboard I would still have the same problem. :( Any ideas?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

InvalidError

Titan

If your computer reboots randomly at different frequencies depending on which GPU you are using, you likely have a power supply problem. If you have a spare PSU you could swap in for testing, I recommend you try that if you are comfortable transplanting PSUs.

MidNiteMoon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
Thank you so much for your response! I'm planning on buying a new PSU in the coming weeks. I'm a newbie at this, so I will be asking for help here. For someone to point me to a PSU that is compatible with my computer. :)

TRENDING THREADS