[SOLVED] How can I know if I’m connected through Ethernet or WIFI if both are enabled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I wonder if there’s a way to know if you’re connected to the network through Ethernet or WIFI when you’re connected on both.

Windows 10 20H2

Any help much appreciated.

Solution
I wonder if there’s a way to know if you’re connected to the network through Ethernet or WIFI when you’re connected on both.

Windows 10 20H2

The icon on the status bar is different. it is the standard "WIFI waves" for WIFI and a monitor looking icon for wired.

USAFRet

Titan

Windows 10 20H2

Unless you've taken specific, non-trivial pains to use 'both' at once (for different applications each), Windows will always only use one.
Generally the faster one.

You can tell which it is in Task Manager, - Performance

Reactions: Rodion15
Apr 8, 2022
The network icon on your taskbar will display which connection it is using with either the WIFI waves icon or the monitor and cable icon. If you would prefer to use a wired connection you could disable WIFI on your computer.

Windows 10 20H2

With everything left at defaults, Ethernet takes precedence over Wireless if both are enabled. This is how auto switching works (and has been this way since Windows Vista\7). Turn both on (the default and should be left that way for normal operation) and Windows will switch back and forth as the Ethernet cable is attached/detached. You can edit the interface/s metrics if you wish to change this.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
With everything left at defaults, Ethernet takes precedence over Wireless if both are enabled. This is how auto switching works (and has been this way since Windows Vista\7). Turn both on (the default and should be left that way for normal operation) and Windows will switch back and forth as the Ethernet cable is attached/detached. You can edit the interface/s metrics if you wish to change this.
Super-useful, I tested that and works like a charm. Big thanks!

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
The network icon on your taskbar will display which connection it is using with either the WIFI waves icon or the monitor and cable icon. If you would prefer to use a wired connection you could disable WIFI on your computer.
Hey, that's true!...it shows which of the adapters is being used, super thanks, this is the easiest way indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.