How can I make a USB 2.0 Printer work with USB 3.0 motherboard?

manolis-ned

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
So I have HP Designjet 500 (24) that was working fine before I upgraded my pc's motherboard. My current motherboard is MSI B360M BAZOOKA (mATX, LGA 1151, Intel B360) . Which has 3.0 ports and some USB 2.0 ports. No matter where I connect the printer it says that this device cannot work with USB 3.0 ports.
I tried contacting support but the printer is old and in another country of the purchase at the moment. The local support uses only telephone services and I do not speak the local language.

Solution
I believe it is a legacy issue with drivers and Windows 10 removing support for the printer. Printers are cheap nowadays. Might as well just go out and buy a new one.
Are you sure your PC has USB 2.0 installed? It may be trying to use USB 3.0 drivers in the 2.0 slots which would work. Except for USB 2.0 only devices.

If you are not sure. Try using something like https://sdi-tool.org/ and install the optimal USB drivers if it finds any.

manolis-ned

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
Capture4.JPG
I downloaded the SDI tool. I do not see any driver with USB on its name.

manolis-ned

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
Yea I'm using the same cable and it was working fine before the upgrade. I printed out the order confirmation 1 day before changing motherboards.

These errors help anywhere?
Capture4.JPG

Capture4.JPG

manolis-ned

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
Okay. So, going to the HP support, I find the driver named "HP Designjet 500 and 510 HP-GL/2 and HP RTL 64-bit driver" downloading it, gives me a zipped file. Unzipping it gives me those files, which have no .exe or something I can use.
Capture4.JPG

Yeah weird there isnt a setup file there.

Try the following. Remove the printer. Then go to Start>Control Panel then top on the right search for Printers, select "Devices and Printers" Click on Add printer. See if it finds the printer. If not, try adding it via TCP (if its on network and has an IP) or manually add it by port.

During the install process you should get to a part where it askes you to find the printer from a Windows Update menu. At the bottom do "have disk" and browse to unzipped directory for the printer drivers. Select the one displayed (if there is more then one, just select one that looks compatible or the first option) and then install drivers.

Reboot PC then try the printer again.

If this doesn't work. Its possible Windows just removed support for this printer. Last time drivers were updated was in 2013 and some sites I've seen this says printer was meant for Windows 2000...

manolis-ned

Reputable
Sep 12, 2018
Okay after restarting again and trying to add it again, I managed to add the drivers as you said. There is some progress. I do not encounter the previous errors but when trying to print , now it displays "error processing the job" or soemthing like that.

TRENDING THREADS