How can I make In built home ethernet work in my room?

Feb 27, 2018
I moved into a new house, and today I got wireless internet to work, the modem is at the living room downstairs while the ethernet control center is in the laundry. I don't know what do i have to connect to make it work, I don't even know if its working, right now i have a switcher, router and modem, but only modem up and running.
Z8E9R

Solution
If the modem is in the living room and the ECC is in the laundry, then there should be an Ethernet port near the modem that leads to the ECC in the laundry room. You need to find that cable and connect it directly to a PC to make sure you're getting Internet access at that point. Once you have verified that, reconnect the Ethernet cable to the ECC and then run another Ethernet cable from an available port (unplug another cable if need be) and connect that cable to your PC. You should still have Internet access. If that PC has access, then all the ports connected to the ECC should have Internet access.

-Wolf sends
Feb 27, 2018

Ok, I know the ISP is sending to home and home to modem, but how can I know if the modem is transmitting to ECC?

Wolfshadw

Titan
If the modem is in the living room and the ECC is in the laundry, then there should be an Ethernet port near the modem that leads to the ECC in the laundry room. You need to find that cable and connect it directly to a PC to make sure you're getting Internet access at that point. Once you have verified that, reconnect the Ethernet cable to the ECC and then run another Ethernet cable from an available port (unplug another cable if need be) and connect that cable to your PC. You should still have Internet access. If that PC has access, then all the ports connected to the ECC should have Internet access.

-Wolf sends

Solution

rcfant89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
So you have a stand alone switch (ECC) and then stand alone router? Or is it an all in one that is plugged directly to the modem?

I echo what wolf said, plug your modem into your PC, make sure you get an IP address, and verify that your modem is actually working.

Once you do that, plug your modem into your router, and reboot it.

One thing you need to know, your modem will only give out one IP address. If you plug your modem to your switch and your switch has different things plugged into it, one of those devices may pull the only IP address and your router will never work. So you need to unplug everything first and make sure your router gets the IP address, then from there your router will have its own subnet and give everything IP addresses from there.