how can i make my intel pentium dual core CPU 2.20Ghz T4400 be faster and better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBoy_Slasher

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Im using a lenovo A300 1TB Harddrive 32GB Virtual RAM 2GB Physical RAM Intel Pentium Dual Core CPU T4400 2.20Ghz 2.20Ghz, And i`ve tried everything i can do to make my computer run faster, upgrade my harddrive get more virtual ram (not physical) etc etc but nothing works! so im now willing to use at least 300-400 (or less if possible) to get my processor be better or get a new one, so i want to do some stuff i can to make my processor run better for free if i can, otherwise im changng it, BUT, i cat buy the processor and do it myself, cause i have 1 massive problem, My Lenovo A300 is a All-In-One desktop PC, the base where all the stuff is packed in is the size of about a keyboard without the numpad, a slim one, the processor and all the stuff is really really small, so idk how to change it myself, so ill have to bring it to a workshop tht will costlike 150 something, if anyone of you can tell me ways to get my damn processor to run faster or to get my coputer to run faster please tell em please! Btw i would love to be a computer expert, cause some of the stuff i know even computer experts dont know, so please Help ME! my harddrive was changed from a 350GB seagate momentus cause it failed, so its changed to a 1TB REXADN BARACUDA 4350, if any of that helps with my computer running faster, also i have 2 drives, C drive and D drives both equal 500Gb each, and a virtual drive. please help me!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What specific model number is your Lenovo (look on the data label/plate on the back/bottom of the system)?

First, 2GB of memory is the bare minimum to do anything. Increasing to 4GB would be beneficial for improving system performance. Increasing virtual memory really doesn't speed up your system, it just uses more disk space and can actually slow your rig down (having too much).

COLGeek

Cybernaut
BTW, spending money to upgrade this CPU (http://ark.intel.com/products/40739/Intel-Pentium-Processor-T4400-1M-Cache-2_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB-Socket-P) is really not a good way to spend your funds. You would be better off saving a bit more money and building a stronger, more modern rig.

For the 300-400 you have budgeted, you could actually build a far more capable system that what you have now.

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
You'll probably get your biggest performance improvement by increasing physical memory (RAM, or Random Access Memory). Virtual memory is just about worthless -- it is nothing more than using the hard drive to supplement physical memory. The problem with that is that the hard drive is 100 times slower than physical RAM, so if your system needs more than 2 GB of RAM it goes to the hard drive and gets v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. It used to be called disk thrashing.

You didn't provide much information about your system, such as whether it's a laptop or a desktop, what operating system it is running, etc. If it's a laptop there's not much you can do to it other than increasing memory. Those things are pretty much custom engineered for the parts they came with. They're designed to dissipate a certain amount of heat, if you put a more powerful processor in there it might draw too much power or generate too much heat.

Usually it makes more sense to upgrade both the motherboard and the CPU (and possibly the memory). Just upgrading the CPU doesn't get you much and is not usually cost efficient.

XBoy_Slasher

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Thanks for your answers @mbreslin1954 Mine's a Lenovo A300 Desktop All-In-One computer the base is kinda small, my computer right now with this intel pentium dual core 2.20ghz processor is generating quite alot of heat, the base is small and i dont have a fan in the base, but i do have a laptop fan that i put my computer base on, running windows 7 home premium genuine for all i know i have general home use computer specs, but i want to change this and make it a gaming computer, cause this computer was not built for gaming, so now which cpu and motherboard should i change to? idk much about my computer @COLGeek i knew that 2gb is to little :( and idk how to build a rig or change the parts myself cause my computer is a all-in-one small desktop pc! i'll have to bring it to a workshop that will cost $150 even if im a member!!! and, yeah seeing that my cpu is really weak, What cpu and motherboard would you two reccomend? idk much abt my computer, but i dont want to buy a new pc cause i really like this massive 21.5 LED full hd screen, also my audio jack is spoiled when i plug like my headphones in and when i put my speakers (the playback settings /the headphones but dosnet show it shows speakers) volume to like 16% thats enough for me to hear the sound comes out from the computers internal speaker, o whatever, so my mic picks it up cause i put listen to this device cause i wanna hear myself it picks the sound up and repeats it until i get a long loud BEEP sound, if you two can help me with that too thanks:) so am i supposed to reduce my virtual memory to make my pc go faster just a bit? if i do, what should i put the value to?

mbreslin1954

Distinguished
The problem with upgrading your all-in-one is that it's kinda like a laptop: a small space engineered for what you have. In order to get the huge performance boost you would need to make it into a gaming PC, you will need a good video card. Does that small form factor even have space for one? Doubtful.

You don't say exactly what model number CPU you have, so it's hard to tell if you'd have to upgrade the CPU and motherboard also, but it looks like a Penryn (Core 2 Duo). If it's a Celeron then it's well, I don't 'think much of Celerons, although the Core 2 Duo was a pretty good processor five years ago. Still, the most important part is the addition of a graphics card, and from what I know of all-in-ones, you probably don't have any room in that chassis to install one.

XBoy_Slasher

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
@mbreslin1954 My pc does have space, ALOT of space, you wouldnt believe how small everything is! the harddrive is smaller than my mini toy skateboard keychain! and i also found this datasheet idk if this will help idk much abt my pc too http://www.lenovo.com/shop/americas/content/pdf/desktops/IdeaCentre/a-Series/IdeaCentre_A300.pdf
and the pc repair and services store down the road from me has alot of stuff for my A300, cause i`ve done everything and they ordered everything, they also have super duper small videocards and processors. but they cost ALOT of $$$. i also WANT to make it into a gaming pc! thats what i wanted! i also idk what specific cpu i have.. so yeah..

Status
Not open for further replies.