How can I make my Netgear WNR2000 (v3) an access point, with my 2wire router as a base station?

runrobots

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hello!
Okay, so most people who have ATT u-verse, also have a collective problem/ issue with router they provide. It has very bad range.
I have an old router I was using before I switched to ATT called "Netgear WNR2000v3", and I was wondering if I can extend the range of my current router with it?
I asked around the net, and turns out, I can. But, I can't seem to figure out how to.
Things that I should make clear:
1.) My 2Wire router is the base station/router.
2.) My Netgear router is going to be the access point (The router that I want to use to increase my base station/router's range.
3.) I'm pretty new at this stuff, but I have read a few tutorials and I understand a little bit of what I have to do.

Solution
The easiest way is to connect an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the ATT router, to the WAN port on the WNR2000v3 (make sure you are running the latest firmware. on mine it is 1.1.2.6

Next, on the WNR2000 V3 go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP

then check Enable Access Point Mode

The router will automatically configure everything else and if you want to log back into the router, log into the main router (the ATT one) and then look for what IP address it assigned to the WNR2000V3

Nyr0tHM.jpg

The router will do the rest of the work for you. Make sure the router is using WPA2 for the wifi security. By default (if you reset your router), it has no wifi password set.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The easiest way is to connect an ethernet cable from a LAN port on the ATT router, to the WAN port on the WNR2000v3 (make sure you are running the latest firmware. on mine it is 1.1.2.6

Next, on the WNR2000 V3 go to Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP

then check Enable Access Point Mode

The router will automatically configure everything else and if you want to log back into the router, log into the main router (the ATT one) and then look for what IP address it assigned to the WNR2000V3

Nyr0tHM.jpg

The router will do the rest of the work for you. Make sure the router is using WPA2 for the wifi security. By default (if you reset your router), it has no wifi password set.

Solution