[SOLVED] How can I modify this case?

Jul 8, 2019
I have a Dell T5500 case that goes for quite a bit of money on ebay. I have 2 questions.
  1. Will the FP connectors work on, say, a Gigabyte motherboard?
  2. How can I modify the case's built in I/O shield?

Will the FP connectors work on, say, a Gigabyte motherboard?
FP connector is proprietary. You may be able to connect front panel USB. But connecting rest of it will be complicated.

i-img1200x802-1531063393tpmjgv154539.jpg

How can I modify the case's built in I/O shield?
You could cut it out and put I/O shield of replacement board in (theoretically and if you're handy with appropriate tools).

Standard ATX board should fit into that case ( if you place it upside down, that is).

Jul 8, 2019
Yes, the case is BTX... I completely ignored that in my OP, sorry. I'm a little worried about the Gpu being way up there and upside down. I like the case enough to keep it however. What would you guys suggest for cutting the built in I/O shield? The reason I asked for FP information is that I had connected a Gateway case with a Gigabyte motherboard, no problems.

Jul 8, 2019
Really I don't mind the entire FP being dummied. I also recall the first custom PC I was ever in possession of; it had a custom power button on it. Also I am wondering if the Gpu, being quite heavy, is going to work with the weight working for/against the teeth on the PCI slot.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Those cases also aren't rare or valuable or, to be perfectly honest, all that desirable. You have to go by sold items; things always look like they go for more than they do when you look at listings because every listing is an unsold item.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...0+case&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

There are a lot of these sold, with shipping, for under $100 (shipping is the big cost), with an actual running (if old) computer inside. There are a lot of sales like this at just over $60 total with a 2009 Xeon inside. Most of the price is shipping; businesses recycle PCs like this all the time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-WorkS...243142&hash=item444e2ded26:g:NJIAAOSwr3BdyWmL

What is your goal here? Are you trying to build in this case for nostalgia? Or for practical reasons? If the latter, there's little point in using this case for a new build.

I'd just get a new modern case.

Dell T5500 case is not that good. Only reason for the price on ebay is, because it can house T5500 hardware.
That's it. By modern standards it's ugly and doesn't have very good airflow either.

BTW - the case/board is not BTX. It's some weird ultra-wide ATX.

Jul 8, 2019
I wasn't exactly thinking when I made this post, if I put the motherboard in upside down, I would have to flip it upside down as well, right?

I have a thing for sleeper builds. 👽

Latest posts