How Can I Monitor Data Being Sent Over Peer-to-Peer Network?

KYLEDLH

Reputable
Jun 16, 2014
Hey,

I was wondering if there is a method or some software I can use for my university assignment in order to monitor the data that is going to be sent over the network, to see if it's secure, been tampered with, anything along that nature. My assignment is looking at the vulnerabilities of peer-to-peer/Wi-Fi networks. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Interception of the data requires some type of physical access but lets say you are in control of the firewall that the data must pass through and you can just capture it all to a file.

Wifi you pretty much can't intercept both because of the fancy mimo but also because almost all wifi is encrypted.

It is unclear what you mean by peer-peer. If you mean torrent that can also be encrypted but even if it isn't you might be able to tell it is torrent traffic but figuring out what exactly is being transferred is much harder. Most people that use torrents for illegal purposes use VPN.

The vast majority of traffic including vpn is using SSL security which uses things like certificate servers to ensure no tamper and actual interception.

It is extremely hard to do much by capturing data. Because a guy named snowden exposed that the government was collecting data most everything has moved to encrypted sessions. If the government can't break it there is little chance you or someone else will either.