Question How/Can i move my os to another ssd without deleting anything?

Mar 22, 2019
Ive looked it up, but i cant find a clear solution. could i move my OS from one ssd to another without losing anything on either of the ssds? any help would be appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You can't move "just the OS" to the second drive. Windows can't work like that.
  2. While it may be possible to move the entirety of the current C drive to a different physical drive without completely deleting the contents of the second drive, this requires lots of messing around with partition sizing. And doing it like that, you really really really need a solid backup of all your data. And it WILL result in completely borked up path references, leaving you in a much worse state than what you have now.

Why are you looking to do this?

Mar 22, 2019
i have my os on an old ssd and my boot, while still fast, takes about 25 seconds. i want to use my samsung 970 evo as good as it can be used by booting with it. guess its not possible tho, thanks for the help!

USAFRet

Titan
While there are several reasons why the OS might want to be on the NVMe drive, reduction in boot time is not one of them.

My current system has an 850 EVO for the C drive. Boots up in about 30 seconds.
15 seconds of that is the BIOS doing its thing, the other 15 seconds is the OS and drive.
Let's assume a 970 EVO takes 1/2 the time as the 850 EVO.

The overall boot time would only reduce to 22.5 seconds. Still 15 seconds for the BIOS, and then 7.5 sec for the OS and drive.
Twice as fast does not always mean 1/2 the overall time.