[SOLVED] How can I move system files to a new drive?

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, I have a 128gb Samsung evo ssd that I bought years ago and it has Windows 10 installed onto it and nothing else.
I want to upgrade to a 1tb ssd but a while back I changed the location of my documents, photos, download folder to my 2tb mechanical external hard drive to save space and I have lots of save game files etc in my documents folder.

My question is if I clone the drive will it still remember that I have changed the default locations to my second drive or do I have to change some settings?

Also I installed a lot of program files onto my second drive too is there anyway I can move them over to the new ssd without reinstalling them again?

Not sure if I've explained this very well but any help is great! Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Solution
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

If you clone the drive but does not install a new OS, the things should works as normal but if you install a new fresh OS you will need to re map the folders to the old location.

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

If you clone the drive but does not install a new OS, the things should works as normal but if you install a new fresh OS you will need to re map the folders to the old location.
Thanks! so just to clarify.
If I currently have my 128gb C: drive and my program files pointed in 2tb D: drive
if I clone the old 128gb C: drive to my new 1tb ssd how would I go about remapping the old program files? I understand how it works for the documents etc. Would I be able to drag the existing program files folder and move it to the new 1tb drive or would the programs stop working?

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
You will not need the remapp process, since it is a copy the system should not notice the change and should wok without problems.
Sounds good one last thing. Would there be any way I could move the program files over? The only reason I remapped them to my secondary drive was due to lack of storage on the 128gb ssd. Obviously I will have a lot more with the 1tb so would like all my program files stored on the main drive. Is this possible at all or would I have to keep them on the secondary drive?

Sounds good one last thing. Would there be any way I could move the program files over? The only reason I remapped them to my secondary drive was due to lack of storage on the 128gb ssd. Obviously I will have a lot more with the 1tb so would like all my program files stored on the main drive. Is this possible at all or would I have to keep them on the secondary drive?

I am pretty sure that you can move on the documents and those stuffs to the new SSD wihout problems but regarding the Program Files I am not sure, I think that you will have to reinstall all if you want it on the main drive.

Reactions: Shaun98

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
I am pretty sure that you can move on the documents and those stuffs to the new SSD wihout problems but regarding the Program Files I am not sure, I think that you will have to reinstall all if you want it on the main drive.
I thought that might be the only option. Thanks again for all the help

Just one extra bit - make sure your drive letter stays the same. Even though once you clone the SSD everything should be the same when finally put it in on its own, Windows may decide to push your 2 TB drive off to the letter E. Easy enough to fix, just wanted to let you know that if your mapping doesn't seem to work at first, this could be why,