[SOLVED] How can i move the windows files/program files folders to a newly bought external hard drive from my ssd?

danir214

Commendable
Jun 15, 2017
title is basically self-explanatory, i wanna know if there is some way to move my windows installation directory from my main ssd to a new external HDD, i have literally no space (900MB out of 120GB) on the windows disk and my pc is getting a bit slower, i really need help as i basically have nothing installed on that drive besides the windows folder and the program files folders which have some important things (that i cant delete) in them

Solution
title is basically self-explanatory, i wanna know if there is some way to move my windows installation directory from my main ssd to a new external HDD, i have literally no space (900MB out of 120GB) on the windows disk and my pc is getting a bit slower, i really need help as i basically have nothing installed on that drive besides the windows folder and the program files folders which have some important things (that i cant delete) in them
No, not the way you're trying to do this.
You can't just take the contents of your current C drive and move it to an external and hope it simply boots up.

What you CAN do is replace the little 120GB drive with a larger one.
We can investigate that process if desired.

I might miss a specific point but what I would do in your situation is move all the important files to the cloud, a usb drive etc. Then install windows on the hdd, set boot priority to the HDD and through windows explorer, format the SSD and your done. Then you need to upload the important files to the HDD or SSD wherever you need to keep them.

USAFRet

Titan
No, not the way you're trying to do this.
You can't just take the contents of your current C drive and move it to an external and hope it simply boots up.

What you CAN do is replace the little 120GB drive with a larger one.
We can investigate that process if desired.

Solution

lynx1021

Distinguished
Never heard of windows installation and system files taking up more than 50-60GB, Check your My documents folder and move the files, not the folder to a new folder on your external HDD. There is a free program called Treesize that shows where all your big files are. A friend of mine tried to move his My documents folder and my pictures folder and it FUBARED his whole system, had to reinstall his OS. https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free
Best thing, get 1TB SSD and clone your 120 gb to it.