Question How can I NOT fry my CPU? Is this overclock stable? i7 8700K

layer7nat

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
I have an i7 8700K. I overclocked my CPU the other day. At first I tried 1.30v @ 4.9GHz, but the computer would blue screen and restart shortly into a stress test with AIDA64. I documented the process extensively here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/its-impossible-to-overclock-my-i7-8700k.3463204/ (my specs are listed here)

Anyways, a few hours later, I decided to remove that whole overclock. I overclocked instead with 1.31v @ 4.9GHz. I also have XMP enabled for my RAM sticks. I ran AIDA64 for ~30 minutes and it did not crash. The temperatures are documented in the forum thread I sent earlier... there's a lot of useful information about my clock so if you guys can read it and maybe tell me if I did something wrong on my overclocking journey it'd be great. Anyways, as I type this, my CPU temps are as follows:

unknown.png

The CPU usage below corresponds to the temperatures. That 74'C is from awhile ago, so disregard that (as my PC has been on and gaming for several hours). Anyways, I've been using this overclock for several days and it seems to be fine so far...

The only thing is I keep my PC on for several days. Sometimes, I don't turn off my PC for like 5 days. My question is as follows: is this overclock completely stable? I don't want to fry my CPU or anything considering it is running almost 24/7. If the risk of frying my CPU is increased, I might just remove the overclock.

Is 1.31v @ 4.9GHz risky? Can it fry my CPU? Is it even a noticeable improvement, in comparison to just using the default CPU clock speeds?

p.s. I'm not planning to delid anytime soon.

layer7nat

Prominent
Nov 30, 2017
Youre not excessively over volting cpu (max 1.5v), your well below that. Temps are in check so you'll be fine for 24/7 up time.

Majority of that time while you sleep is idle right?
Interesting. So my CPU won't fry?

Well I leave it on to leave Twitch on (I have my wall-mounted TV connected to my PC), but yeah it's just Twitch at night time. And once the person I watch stops streaming my computer turns its display off shortly after.

TRENDING THREADS