Question How can i OC my 9900k to 5 ghz as promised by intel ?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
my motherboard is not a high end , it's an asus z390-p , i updated the bios , used easy tuning with water cooling and gaming options selected and i also used the pre-loaded profile on the bios settings , but it's still @3.6 ghz . can i OC to 5 ghz and if yes then what sort of games is that frequency visible in ? i'm using a 280 mm corsair 115i pro rgb cooler btw. thanks in advance for your kind replies

Ok. Keep your voltage around 1.3-1.35 when overclocking to 5ghz and as long as your temps are fine under 80c, i don't see a problem.
Just overclock and see what happens. If it runs too hot, decrease voltage and clocks.
Use hardware monitor to check clocks and temperatures.https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
You need to max out your power and turbo duration limits or the cpu will down clock to stay at the rated TDP under load. The CPU should maintain a steady 4.7ghz under load at otherwise stock settings. The stated 5.0 ghz is single core boost. The CPU will essentially never run at that unless you are in performance mode in windows and sitting Idle.

You can attempt a 5 ghz overclock but I have my doubts about whether or not your motherboard could maintain it. It will probably VRM throttle under sustained load at the voltage required to reach 5ghz.

Last edited:

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
5 ghz is the turbo frequency and will only be used when the CPU is under load. It also only applies to the first core and all other cores will have a slightly lower turbo clock.

9900k should allow two cores to boost to 5.0 GHz as normal behavior if I recall correctly...(this can be verified by observing HWMonitor under load...)

a few concerns about overclocking while gaming-- often, unless running a GPU powerful enough where this overclocked CPU load can be actually 'harvested', often running all cores at 140-150 watts/5.0 GHz (done automatically in MCE mode) is often just a waste of power and added CPU heat...

This would likely mean needing a 2070 or higher GPU, at 1080/1440P @144 Hz monitor, before most would even worry about needing all cores at 5.1 Ghz, etc... (certainly it would be a waste of time with the likes of a GTX1060, etc., which is maxed out even with a stock 6700K at 4.2 GHz...; almost doubling power and heat to boost from 135 fps to 136 fps seems pointless to me, anyway..)