How can I possibly remove Windows Messenger?

Hello
I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for XP
service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
windows clock.

Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
everything.

I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
relevant boxes.

I have also tried going into the administration tools
sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled" yet
sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
background on it! This is so frustrating.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks

See:
http://www.computerlynx.net/remove_messenger.htm

Tom
"Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
| Hello
| I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
XP
| service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
| do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
| windows clock.
|
| Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
| everything.
|
| I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
| relevant boxes.
|
| I have also tried going into the administration tools
| sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
yet
| sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
| background on it! This is so frustrating.
|
| Any suggestions?
|
| Many Thanks

http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
works
peterk

the problem
"Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
> XP service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I
> can do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to
> the windows clock.
>
> Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
> everything.
>
> I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
> relevant boxes.
>
> I have also tried going into the administration tools
> sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
> yet sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the
> red background on it! This is so frustrating.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many Thanks

Hi,

That's not windows messenger, that's MSN messenger, and that's what you need
to uninstall in the Control Panel/Add & Remove under Windows Components.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
> XP service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I
> can do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to
> the windows clock.
>
> Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
> everything.
>
> I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
> relevant boxes.
>
> I have also tried going into the administration tools
> sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
> yet sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the
> red background on it! This is so frustrating.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many Thanks

To disable "Windows Messenger":

Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:

"Run this program when Windows starts" and
"Allow this program to run in the background", then
click OK.

Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
"Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
APPLY.

Alternative:

Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

peterk wrote:
> http://www.grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
> works
> peterk

Actually, it doesn't. It's completely irrelevant. "Shoot the
Messenger" is a means of hiding messenger service spam, and has
absolutely nothing to do with Windows Messenger, which is a completely
different thing from the messenger service.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

gerry

Carey, I am sorry to break into this thread, but I am unable to post a new
question. I am signed in to Net.Passport. Does Messenger have to be installed
to post here? I have no trouble sending the reply.
Thanks for your advise,
Gerry

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> To disable "Windows Messenger":
>
> Open "Windows Messenger" and from the Toolbar select
> Tools > Options > Preferences and uncheck:
>
> "Run this program when Windows starts" and
> "Allow this program to run in the background", then
> click OK.
>
> Next, open Outlook Express and from the Toolbar select
> Tools > Options and under the General tab uncheck
> "Automatically log on to Windows Messenger" and click
> APPLY.
>

> Alternative:
>
> Prevent Windows Messenger from automatically running
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_messenger_autorun.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Samantha" wrote:
>
> | Hello
> | I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for XP
> | service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I can
> | do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to the
> | windows clock.
> |
> | Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
> | everything.
> |
> | I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
> | relevant boxes.
> |
> | I have also tried going into the administration tools
> | sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled" yet
> | sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the red
> | background on it! This is so frustrating.
> |
> | Any suggestions?
> |
> | Many Thanks

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

XP AntiSpy.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/XPAntispy.shtml

--

Kenny Cargill

"Samantha" <samantha@noreply.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have searched online via Google on how to remove Windows Messenger for
> XP service pack two. It is later edition than 4.5, eg. 4.7, but nothing I
> can do will stop the pesky thing from popping up in my system tray near to
> the windows clock.
>
> Can anybody please help? It seems to be integrated with absolutely
> everything.
>
> I have tried clicking on the Tools-Options-Preferences, and unchecking the
> relevant boxes.
>
> I have also tried going into the administration tools
> sections-services-rightclick messenger and it is displayed as "disabled"
> yet sure as fate it is still in my system tray box with the white X on the
> red background on it! This is so frustrating.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Many Thanks

No, Messenger is not needed to post here.

Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 is akin to bear skins and stone knives.

Do yourself a favor and setup a real newsreader.

Outlook Express came free with XP.

Use it.

MICROSOFT PUBLIC NEWSGROUPS
[[There are many valuable newsgroups on the msnews.microsoft.com server, on
nearly every available topic and in many different languages. Clicking the
links below will automatically create any necessary account configuration in
Outlook Express and take you directly to the newsgroup you have selected -
no complicated technical configurations are needed!]]
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

Using Outlook Express To View Newsgroups
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2fdirectory%2fworldwide%2fen-gb%2fnewsout.asp

Viewing and Posting to Newsgroups
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/newsgroups.asp

Setting up Outlook Express Newsreader

Getting News from Newsgroups
Ignore this part ->> Access a newsgroup right from the Web.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/gettingnews.asp

Set Up Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/oe/setup.asp

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx

Outlook Express newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

--