[SOLVED] How can I properly use an ESD strap if I have no grounded outlets?

Feb 13, 2021
Exactly what the question says. I'm in a country where outlets aren't grounded. I want to build a PC.

The instructions for ESD straps say that if i use the method where I plug in a PSU and clip the strap to it, the outlet has to be grounded (I'm guessing to offer a safe route for dissipating ESD once it dies accumulate). Is it possible to make your own makeshift ground path and just connect that to i-don't - know - what? Please help :)

PS: I'm fairly convinced of ESD damage, so please don't bother telling me I don't need an ESD strap. I'd also rather be safe than sorry :)

Solution
Metal water pipes are the first choice for attaching a bond if available...most hardware stores sell a metal strap to tie in a bond on a water pipe. Metal radiator pipes in your room will work also if you have baseboard heating in your house...be sure to remove any paint at the bond location to get down to bare metal if needed.

If you can not attach to either of those inside the home then you can dig a trench by hand out in your yard close to your window and lay in a ground rod or 4ft length of metal pipe. Attach a wire to it, bury the rod or pipe in the trench, and run the wire through the wall to your work area for something to bond to with your wrist trap. Be mindful of lawn mowing needs if you go this route...you don't want wire...
Metal water pipes are the first choice for attaching a bond if available...most hardware stores sell a metal strap to tie in a bond on a water pipe. Metal radiator pipes in your room will work also if you have baseboard heating in your house...be sure to remove any paint at the bond location to get down to bare metal if needed.

If you can not attach to either of those inside the home then you can dig a trench by hand out in your yard close to your window and lay in a ground rod or 4ft length of metal pipe. Attach a wire to it, bury the rod or pipe in the trench, and run the wire through the wall to your work area for something to bond to with your wrist trap. Be mindful of lawn mowing needs if you go this route...you don't want wire wrapped up in a lawn mower.

I would avoid hammering a ground rod or pipe down into the lawn unless you have access to a "call before you dig" service and know how to mark out a work area. Hand digging a trench is much safer.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS