Question How can I recover a disk showing no vol info but a drive letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
Hi,

I ran an app called Recuva, found a bunch of pictures to recover, ran it again in deep mode and the OS would not start afterwards. I took the disk out and put it in a USB cradle and I get a drive letter but no volume information. It also causes Windows Explorer to hang.

Disk Drill just loops on updating partition message and the Microsoft Windows Partition function does not see the disk at all.

Is there any way I can get these pictures, not bothered about the OS.

Thanks, Lee

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
No, the OS booted ok, it's just an old laptop that's not used. This is how Recuva sees the drive now via a USB cradle on another laptop:-

WINRE (\\?\Volume{497ef0c6......})
Local Disk (\\?\Volume{df90275d...})
Local Disk (\\.\HarddiskVolume2)
Local Disk (\\.\HarddiskVolume3)

Lee

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I think we need a full explanation to get an idea what's going on. It's hard to recommend a solution if it's unclear what the problem is from the start.

Why were you using Recuva if there wasn't a problem in the first place? And if there was, what was the issue that caused you to use Recuva? It also sounds like you were initially trying to recover to the same drive you're running on; if you were not, what is your drive situation?

Reactions: leejenson
Jul 2, 2022
Hi,

I ran an app called Recuva, found a bunch of pictures to recover, ran it again in deep mode and the OS would not start afterwards. I took the disk out and put it in a USB cradle and I get a drive letter but no volume information. It also causes Windows Explorer to hang.

Disk Drill just loops on updating partition message and the Microsoft Windows Partition function does not see the disk at all.

Is there any way I can get these pictures, not bothered about the OS.

Thanks, Lee
Hi Lee!

Can you share the model of your disk? Its about SSD or HDD?
To get started, post SMART output (HDD tune on windows, smartctl on unix)

Just to state the obvious, you should NEVER run such software against the only copy of the data. Always make a master disk image and run the recovery against a copy of that image. You've very likely caused irreparable filesystem damage and quite possibly rendered your data unrecoverable. This is why you keep backups of important files.

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
I think we need a full explanation to get an idea what's going on. It's hard to recommend a solution if it's unclear what the problem is from the start.

Why were you using Recuva if there wasn't a problem in the first place? And if there was, what was the issue that caused you to use Recuva? It also sounds like you were initially trying to recover to the same drive you're running on; if you were not, what is your drive situation?

I was trying to undelete a friend's old pictures for her, it was the same drive the laptop was running on Windows 7. I removed it and put it in a USB cradle to see if I could still access it after the deep scan problem on a different laptop - Windows 10. Otherwise the Windows 7 laptop started ok. Out of date and old but it started.

Last edited:

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
Just to state the obvious, you should NEVER run such software against the only copy of the data. Always make a master disk image and run the recovery against a copy of that image. You've very likely caused irreparable filesystem damage and quite possibly rendered your data unrecoverable. This is why you keep backups of important files.

Hi, yes, I understand and will be more careful.

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
Hi, ok, I'll stick it back in the Windows 7 laptop and see what the BIOS SMART info says. BRB.

I have put the disk (Seagate HDD Momentus 5400.6 320 GB) back in the Windows 7 laptop, but the BIOS cannot see a drive either. so, I think I have run out of options. Thanks for your replies. My friend will be using online and offline storage backups for her important files.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022
I have put the disk (Seagate HDD Momentus 5400.6 320 GB) back in the Windows 7 laptop, but the BIOS cannot see a drive either. so, I think I have run out of options. Thanks for your replies. My friend will be using online and offline storage backups for her important files.
If it's worth it, you can buy the PCB for your HDD and recover the data. You must search for the same model and revision, you can find it on the PCB near the sata power conector:
images

It can be in another place, so find out!
The price is near 20-30 bucks:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-board-100729420-Rev-B-C-14460240-for-Seagate-Momentus-ST500LT012-0002LVM1-/224085603152?_ul=IL

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222793747420

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
If it's worth it, you can buy the PCB for your HDD and recover the data. You must search for the same model and revision, you can find it on the PCB near the sata power conector:
images

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PCB-board-100729420-Rev-B-C-14460240-for-Seagate-Momentus-ST500LT012-0002LVM1-/224085603152?_ul=IL

Thank you so much. I will buy this PCB and look at some instructions on YouTube.

Jul 2, 2022
Also,
Well, considering that the drive in question is a 2.5" drive, and the item above is for a 3.5" drive, that's in no way, shape or form going to work.
The link is a 2.5 drive. The image is an example of "what is look like" and Lee have to search for a replacement that fit the characteristics of his unit...

My english is far for been perfect, but i think i've expressed myself well...

leejenson

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2014
images

Thank you so much. I will buy this PCB and look at some instructions on YouTube.
Considering what ex_bubblehead said, remember to search the replacement that have same number/revision of the actual HDD:
Yes, I will be careful and check, thank you everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.