[SOLVED] HOW CAN I REDUCE MY FAN SPEED!??!! please helpppp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 26, 2019
Hello guys. i have a sony vaio laptop model sve14a2m1ew
and my fan is doing a terrible noise. my cpu fan speed is 5921 rpm
cpu is at 49c

i have tried to rduce it with speed fan but it didnt work, i tried via bios however there wasnt the fan control option neither the power option

any help and solution??
Thank!!

Solution
Three pin fans, and ALL fans on laptops, can absolutely be controlled. They are controlled by DC voltage, rather than by PWM signal like four pin PWM fans. It would have to be a VERY old, or very cheap system to have only full on or full off fans being a laptop. Maybe not even then. I'm not sure I recall ever seeing that kind of design on any laptop. Perhaps on very old models from the late 80's or early 90's.

As for the fan itself, yes, it is possible that the fan has failed. Sometimes the center spindle that turns the fan blades becomes separated from, or loose, from the fan blades themselves so while the motor is turning at 6000rpm, the fan blades themselves are either not turning or turning much slower than the motor due to the...
May 26, 2019
Three pin fans, and ALL fans on laptops, can absolutely be controlled. They are controlled by DC voltage, rather than by PWM signal like four pin PWM fans. It would have to be a VERY old, or very cheap system to have only full on or full off fans being a laptop. Maybe not even then. I'm not sure I recall ever seeing that kind of design on any laptop. Perhaps on very old models from the late 80's or early 90's.

As for the fan itself, yes, it is possible that the fan has failed. Sometimes the center spindle that turns the fan blades becomes separated from, or loose, from the fan blades themselves so while the motor is turning at 6000rpm, the fan blades themselves are either not turning or turning much slower than the motor due to the slippage.

Replacing the fan with an identical model would be recommendable in that event but it is not likely to be something for the faint of heart to attempt. Laptop disassembly and repair are much more complex endeavors than similar operations on a desktop system.
okey!
do u have a fan suggestion?
also can i change it or i have to take it to an expert?
thanks!

Yes, I suggest you use the exact same model that is currently installed, since that's likely the only one, or the best one, to be compatible anyhow. That will require disassembly of the unit in order to identify the model based on what is printed on the label attached directly to the fan itself unless you can find the model by searching through threads directly related to fan replacement on your exact model of laptop elsewhere.

May 26, 2019
Yes, I suggest you use the exact same model that is currently installed, since that's likely the only one, or the best one, to be compatible anyhow. That will require disassembly of the unit in order to identify the model based on what is printed on the label attached directly to the fan itself unless you can find the model by searching through threads directly related to fan replacement on your exact model of laptop elsewhere.
You are amazing thanks!!!

May 26, 2019
hey sorry for being stupid asking you all the time but one last question. can those https://www.amazon.co.uk/KLIM-Cool-...ptop+fan&qid=1559248115&s=gateway&sr=8-7&th=1
reduce my fan speed. basically i want the noise to be decresed and i am looking for solutions, can those reduce the noise!!?

I have never found laptop cooling pads or coolers that plug into or mount on the sides of the laptop to have any appreciable affect other than on the surface of the laptop where you rest your hands. Unfortunately, the fact that the laptop surface remains cooler has little effect on core or gpu temperatures, much the same as on a desktop CPU you can have an overheating CPU core while the heatsink is still cool to the touch.

So IMO, that product, and others like it, are a waste of money.

May 26, 2019
I have never found laptop cooling pads or coolers that plug into or mount on the sides of the laptop to have any appreciable affect other than on the surface of the laptop where you rest your hands. Unfortunately, the fact that the laptop surface remains cooler has little effect on core or gpu temperatures, much the same as on a desktop CPU you can have an overheating CPU core while the heatsink is still cool to the touch.

So IMO, that product, and others like it, are a waste of money.
Dang:(
Thanks !!

Last edited by a moderator:

TRENDING THREADS