Question How Can I Reinstall Any Graphics Driver after uninstalling All Others?

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
I'm building a new computer. I have a 7800X3D and an RX 7900XTX. I cannot get anything to display at all on my screen after it previously had been working.

I installed my CPU, RAM, etc. and verified that everything would post. I got into the BIOS but changed nothing. I unplugged everything and installed my storage devices and my GPU. Both showed up as expected in the BIOS. I installed Windows and everything was going great.

However, then I noticed I was running on the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter even though my RX 7900XTX was also there. So I selected the basic display adapter and uninstalled. I was updating my driver for my RX 7900XTX at the same time, do I don't know if that's the problem.

However, now I can't get anything at all to display. For a time it was just flickering horribly, but I read that uninstalling the generic AMD driver would just default to the Microsoft driver and I thought I could start over. Now, my 7900XTX is sitting to the side and I still can't get anything to appear.

What should my next steps be?

Solution
It posts with a display right?

Which Windows you running? Pressing F8 just before Windows starts to load should be the same with Win 10 and 11. This should get you to safe mode. There, go to recovery and do a reset.

After that install the graphics card again. Make sure video cable is connected to that not the motherboard. Motherboard video port uses integrated graphics from the processor.

Hopefully you can now load Windows normally with a display from the graphics card. Go to Amd.com and download Adrenaline driver package for your card and install it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador

Which Windows you running? Pressing F8 just before Windows starts to load should be the same with Win 10 and 11. This should get you to safe mode. There, go to recovery and do a reset.

After that install the graphics card again. Make sure video cable is connected to that not the motherboard. Motherboard video port uses integrated graphics from the processor.

Hopefully you can now load Windows normally with a display from the graphics card. Go to Amd.com and download Adrenaline driver package for your card and install it.

Solution

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014

This sounds doable. I'm using Windows 10 currently. I will try to do this later tonight when I get home.

I think the problem is that you uninstalled the Windows Basic Display Adapter driver and that's never supposed to be uninstalled. Windows uses it just to provide a basic display that lets you see what you're doing. It automatically disables it if brand-specific video drivers are installed. The previous posters have already given you the fix but I just wanted to tell you what went wrong and why so that you won't make the same mistake again.

Don't feel bad, I've done far worse than that. ;)

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
I think the problem is that you uninstalled the Windows Basic Display Adapter driver and that's never supposed to be uninstalled. Windows uses it just to provide a basic display that lets you see what you're doing. It automatically disables it if brand-specific video drivers are installed. The previous posters have already given you the fix but I just wanted to tell you what went wrong and why so that you won't make the same mistake again.

Don't feel bad, I've done far worse than that. ;)
Yeah, I didn't know that. I hope the above suggestion works; I would be kind of terrified if it started to look more like a hardware problem. However, given that everything had been working up to that point, I feel like it should be more of a software thing. Still, thank you for your support lol - much appreciated!

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Yeah, I didn't know that. I hope the above suggestion works; I would be kind of terrified if it started to look more like a hardware problem. However, given that everything had been working up to that point, I feel like it should be more of a software thing. Still, thank you for your support lol - much appreciated!
You're welcome. I know how frustrating something like that can be.

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
Update to all:

First of all, I walked away from computer building a few years ago and remember Tom's being a good community. Things haven't changed. Thank you all so much for your support.

I was able to bring my computer to the point where I get a display for less than a full second at a time even in recovery mode. This is progress but still not usable. So, I just yanked out my SSD and reinstalled my GPU for safe keeping inside my case if nothing else. Once removing the SSD, the screen went back to normal on my next startup and could read that my GPU is recognized inside my BIOS.

That brings me to my next question: would wiping that SSD and just reinstalling Windows also probably fix my problem? If so, I could just set boot order to something like a Puppy Linux flash drive and format the whole SSD from there and start over?

Also, if I try to get into my BIOS with my GPU for my display it won't display anything, though going through the motherboard now works as expected. Is that behavior normal?

USAFRet

Titan
Update to all:

First of all, I walked away from computer building a few years ago and remember Tom's being a good community. Things haven't changed. Thank you all so much for your support.

I was able to bring my computer to the point where I get a display for less than a full second at a time even in recovery mode. This is progress but still not usable. So, I just yanked out my SSD and reinstalled my GPU for safe keeping inside my case if nothing else. Once removing the SSD, the screen went back to normal on my next startup and could read that my GPU is recognized inside my BIOS.

That brings me to my next question: would wiping that SSD and just reinstalling Windows also probably fix my problem? If so, I could just set boot order to something like a Puppy Linux flash drive and format the whole SSD from there and start over?

Also, if I try to get into my BIOS with my GPU for my display it won't display anything, though going through the motherboard now works as expected. Is that behavior normal?
If you want a new Windows install, no need to go to PuppyLinux first.

Boot from a properly constructed WIn 10 USB, and proceed.

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014

Right, yes that would be a better plan. Thank you!

zxcvgvgv

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2014
I believe the crisis is averted. After a clean install of Windows 10 and updating all the drivers and such, it was still flickering when plugged into my GPU. However, when I switched to displayport instead of HDMI, all my problems went away. I will see after a while of use if the HDMI still is acting crazy, but I think it's all good now.

Thank you again to all of you who were willing to help me.

Reactions: boju