How can I reinstall windows on a preinstalled/OEM computer?

Portmanteau

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered before. I have a laptop preinstalled with windows Home basic. I want to do a fresh install but have no recovery disc etc. How do I go about doing this with OEM key I have with my computer?

Thanks in advance

Portmanteau

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013

I don't want to recover from the that partition as I want to do a clean install without all of the bloatware that comes bundled with it. Would it not be possible to borrow a disc and simply use my key.

I hope you can help.

Depending on the manufacturer, I doubt it can be done. I worked n a dead Vista system last week where the hard disk had failed. Cloning wouldn't work so I reinstalled Vista from my own disk and changed the Product Key. It failed to activate even over the phone to MS who said the system was blocked by the OEM. I rang Packard Bell to query it and instead of telling me how to unblock it, they simply blamed my customer for failing to make a disk set.

He bought a new Windows 7 system and we started from scratch. OEM as have some charming con-tricks up their sleeves so beware how you go about this. I recommend recovery and binning all the bloatware before you even go online.

Portmanteau

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Thank you both 4745454b and Saga Lout for your replies.

Saga Lout, how would I use the recovery partition to reinstall windows whilst omitting all of the crapware that goes with it? I'm not sure what you mean by "go online".

Thanks again

I suggest using the recovery option to be found on the first screen you seen when you power up because that give the system access to the Recovery Partition and reinstalls Windows, including all the drivers you need for your hardware. As soon as you finish the new installation, get rid of all the bloatware - you'll get a clue to the folders they live in from Task manager - if it's a HP computer, their files will stand out in there.

Doing that before you let the system go online to find Windows Updates, Service Packs, etc., gives you the chance to delete programmes and files you don';t want without IE popping up to beg you not to uninstall the rubbish.