[SOLVED] How can i remap a key on a usb keyboard as the power button, and make bios recognize it as the main keyboard on my Acer Nitro 5 laptop?

nitronthe1st

Reputable
May 8, 2016
My laptop's keyboard is totally busted due to a spill, and i can't get it to boot up properly due to messing up the power button. I can get it to boot up by pressing randomly or applying pressure on certain parts of the keyboard, or just leaving it be, there's no certain method that i can get it to boot up. However even after getting it to boot up, the messed up keyboard acts like i am holding down the power button and causes it to force shut down seconds or minutes after being booted.

Is it possible for me to be able to remap a USB keyboard's key, to act as the power key, and use that to turn it on?

Solution
No, the keyboard keys are not going to be active until you power on.
There might be some bios option to wake on lan activity that you could use to wake up the laptop.

What is the make/model of the laptop?
I recently replaced the keyboard of a Lenovo T430s for my son which was a trivial job and the replacement keyboard was inexpensive.
I think that is what you need to do.

Use google to find a video on how to disassemble your laptop.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not really, you'll still have the same issues. The key traces are what's causing the issue, not the mapping. So even if you did remap to a seperate key, the original power button would still make contact.

Best bet is to pull apart the laptop and use some rubbing alcohol to clean the tracer board and the keys. If it's physically messed up, not just a sticky mess, it'll need replacing.

nitronthe1st

Reputable
May 8, 2016
Not really, you'll still have the same issues. The key traces are what's causing the issue, not the mapping. So even if you did remap to a seperate key, the original power button would still make contact.

Best bet is to pull apart the laptop and use some rubbing alcohol to clean the tracer board and the keys. If it's physically messed up, not just a sticky mess, it'll need replacing.
I also have a problem with reaching the keyboard, as it cant be taken out from the front, and theres a metal panel with no screws holding it from the back.

however i plan to disconnect the laptop's keyboard, and set the bios to recognize the usb keyboard as the main keyboard, but i do not know how to.

No, the keyboard keys are not going to be active until you power on.
There might be some bios option to wake on lan activity that you could use to wake up the laptop.

What is the make/model of the laptop?
I recently replaced the keyboard of a Lenovo T430s for my son which was a trivial job and the replacement keyboard was inexpensive.
I think that is what you need to do.

Use google to find a video on how to disassemble your laptop.

Solution