How can I remove my boot partition and Windows files from my HDD to upgrade so a SSD?

danitewing

Honorable
Sep 1, 2013
Hey I'm getting a SSD to serve as my boot drive just wondering how can I just remove the windows files from my HDD and keep all my old Data and boot and have windows from my SSD?

Solution
Dan, just find and download a bit of hard drive cloning software.

It will create an Image file of the whole hard drive you are currently using as your windows boot drive.

Once the image has been created.

You can simply connect the new SSD drive to your system.
Format the SSD drive first of all so windows can see it and work with the SSD drive.

Then run the hard drive cloning software again, select the image file it created for the old Hdd.
And write the image to the SSD drive.

Once done.
To make sure the drive information and data was written to the SSD drive, you will need to temporarily disconnect the old HD from your system, via removal of the power, or the Sata data cable to that drive.

Go into your bios, and in the boot...
Dan, just find and download a bit of hard drive cloning software.

It will create an Image file of the whole hard drive you are currently using as your windows boot drive.

Once the image has been created.

You can simply connect the new SSD drive to your system.
Format the SSD drive first of all so windows can see it and work with the SSD drive.

Then run the hard drive cloning software again, select the image file it created for the old Hdd.
And write the image to the SSD drive.

Once done.
To make sure the drive information and data was written to the SSD drive, you will need to temporarily disconnect the old HD from your system, via removal of the power, or the Sata data cable to that drive.

Go into your bios, and in the boot order of devices select the new SSD drive as the windows boot drive.
Save the changes made in the bios before you exit it Dan.

And then test to see if windows os boots from the new SSD drive.
Once you have confirmed the clone has been done successfully.

Re connect the sata data cable, and power for your old HD in your system.

And then format the HDD to free up the space of it, to use as a data storage drive Dan.

Solution