[SOLVED] How can I run Windows 98 on a modern computer?

Oct 12, 2019
I have a windows 98 computer thats 22 years old, hard drive and everything still works. I was able to make a clone of the disk (using easeUS todo advanced server and a IDE to USB adapter), so I got all my old files off of it. But im not completely satisfied with this...

I'd still like to be able to launch windows 98 and see everything the way it was on my original computer. Ive heard a little about running it on a virtual machine, is that the best way to go about it? If so, whats a good P2V conversion program? One that would work specifically for windows 98? I tried to use easeUS todo program, but it says none of the hard drives I use are supported to P2V conversion..

Also is there a program that could make an ISO file out of the cloned disk, I cloned all the partitions, even the empty ones (its only 6 gigs anyway). Could I do it that way rather than try and make an ISO from the original disk, since its pretty slow.

Please inform me of the best way to go about this, Im not too technical so I need someone who can point me in the right direction. I realize there are some different ways to do this Im just not sure whats best. Thank you all.

Solution
No virtual machine supports actual hardware from back then they all create some fake generic hardware so a virtual disk from an actual win 98 PC will throw so many errors at you that your head will be spinning.
You would have to boot up the original hardware uninstall every driver possible and create a clone/virtual disk of that in the hopes that it will pick up and install the virtual hardware correctly.
I tried to use easeUS todo program, but it says none of the hard drives I use are supported to P2V conversion..
You are not trying to convert a disk,browse to the clone image file you already saved and convert that to .vhd or .vhdx
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/convert-physical-to-virtual.html
No virtual machine supports actual hardware from back then they all create some fake generic hardware so a virtual disk from an actual win 98 PC will throw so many errors at you that your head will be spinning.
You would have to boot up the original hardware uninstall every driver possible and create a clone/virtual disk of that in the hopes that it will pick up and install the virtual hardware correctly.
I tried to use easeUS todo program, but it says none of the hard drives I use are supported to P2V conversion..
You are not trying to convert a disk,browse to the clone image file you already saved and convert that to .vhd or .vhdx
https://www.easeus.com/todo-backup-guide/convert-physical-to-virtual.html

Solution