Question How can I safely clone my system disk?

perzaklie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I have a rather complex, to me, situation. My SSD that is my C drive, ran low on space. I could not afford to upgrade it so I started installing program files on drive F. So now I have a programs file and programs file (x86) on both drives. Now that the cost of SSD has dropped, I want to get a new SSD for my C drive. I would like to consolidate all my programs to this new SSD without having to re-install all of them that are now on the F drive. Is this possible? My initial thoughts were to clone the present C drive to a new one then symbolically link the F drive program files to the new SSD. Is there a better, more efficient way? All suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks

perzaklie

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Yes, the new drive will be the new C drive. I think you may have missed the most important part of my post. You see, when I started running out of room on my present C drive, I installed new programs on my F drive so that I now have a Programs File and Programs File (x86) on my F drive as well. I would like to get a new very larger SSD to use as my C drive and then to merge my Programs File and Programs File (x86) folders from my F drive to my new C drive.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
then symbolically link the F drive program files to the new SSD
Ah well i read this bit as - you want to redirect the install file addresses whilst keeping them in the same place. Which related back to my previous comment. The only reason why a Program Files folder would be present is if a windows installation was on the other drive (or you manually created the folder yourself) - which isn't needed.

If you're saying you want to move the F drive software back onto your NEW C drive (apologies If i misinterpreted previously) - In which case it depends on the program, if they are steam games for example, you can simple change the install location via the steam client, easy.

Other applications such as Origin games can simply be moved manually, but you'll need to redirect the individual launcher links to the new location.

Many other applications may require a full reinstall into a new location.

Edit: If you're referring to a full merge, then the below comments are absolutely correct.

Last edited:
I have a rather complex, to me, situation. My SSD that is my C drive, ran low on space. I could not afford to upgrade it so I started installing program files on drive F. So now I have a programs file and programs file (x86) on both drives. Now that the cost of SSD has dropped, I want to get a new SSD for my C drive. I would like to consolidate all my programs to this new SSD without having to re-install all of them that are now on the F drive. Is this possible? My initial thoughts were to clone the present C drive to a new one then symbolically link the F drive program files to the new SSD. Is there a better, more efficient way? All suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks
You get new SSD with enough size to fit C: and F: drives.
Then clone both of them to the new SSD.

Another way -
If F: is too large and you need only F:\Program Files and F:\Program Files (x86) to be on SSD, then
you can clone C: to new SSD (don't forget bootloader partition also) and
create separate partitions for \Program Files and \Program Files (x86) from F: ,
move contents of those folders to the new SSD appropriate partitions and
link those partitions to old folders on F: .