How can I save a recovery partition?

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013
I have a Sony vaio. And recently it have a smart hard disk failure. I cannot go into windows. But I can use the assist button, I tot of changing hard disk but I don't have a recovery disk. Anyway can I save the recovery partition?? Thanks alot.

Solution
A recovery disk does no good with a new drive since it does not include a recovery partition that is needed.

You need a full Windows install disk.

RealBeast

Titan
You probably can't -- but the good news is that you don't need to save it.

Just download a disk image of Windows 7 (the exact same version as you use) from DIGITAL RIVER, burn it to a DVD, and use it to install the OS on a new hard drive. Then activate Windows using the key on the sticker on your laptop.

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

But will all my Sony function gone?

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

So I can download everything from Sony website??

RealBeast

Titan
You should go there to check and see that everything is available, but Sony is usually quite good about having everything available for download. Also, look around to see if you have any of the disks that came with your laptop in case some applications are not available for download.

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

It comes with no disc. So I only chioce I have is to download it from sony webpage. What does recovery disk include? Because I don't have a recovery disk.
Is it better to buy a recovery disk or is good enough to download from Sony?

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

Okay thank you. :) but my biggest worry is I scared my Sony vaio doesn't boot from the cd/USB because recently the hard disk failure I wanted to try using some tool to fix but it just doesn't boot up with the cd/USB. Always once I on it will say press smart hard disk failure press esc. Is it because my hard disk failure that's why it can't boot to with cd/USB?

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I tried, but it just keep boot from the hard disk itself. I read online about it. Many ppl have the same problem too. Have any idea?

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

I go to the bios and change to the disk. I using Sony vaio s series. Vpcsb36fg

RealBeast

Titan
You can download all drivers and much of the software from HERE.

Connect the power adapter from the wall socket, disconnect all USB devices, and when it is turned off try the ASSIST button and select start BIOS setup and see if you can change it that way instead of using F10 at the Vaio logo.

Desmondnjw

Honorable
Aug 28, 2013

The assist button doesn't change bios. It only bring me to recovery.