[SOLVED] How can i scale down the display on a big monitor?

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
monitor is a "ProLite b2776hds" which is 27 inches, im trying to scale the display down so it's like a 24 or 22 inch instead, but i cant find a way to do it. the monitor settings dont have an option to scale it down, and in the nvidia settings the "size" tab is missing, ive tried 3 different drivers and the size tab is still missing.
by scaling it down i mean the display becomes smaller and there are black bars around it

Solution
by scaling it down i mean the display becomes smaller and there are black bars around it
That's a function of the monitor, not Windows. When faced with input at a different resolution than the screen, the monitor can stretch the image to fit (using a variety of different scaling algorithms), or it can just display 1 input pixel to 1 screen pixel. The latter will result in the black bars you're talking about.

While it can sometimes be done through the video card settings as has been described in the other replies, your best bet is to go through the monitor's settings and see if there's a way to disable stretch/expand.

Everything is readable and fine, its just that the monitor is way too big.
Try placing the monitor...

Ralston18

Titan
You would likely make such adjustments on the monitor itself.

Does the following link present the User Manual for your monitor?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/618608/Iiyama-Prolite-B2776hds.html?page=23#manual

(Verify that I found the correct manual.)

Screen adjustments begin on Page "Operating the monitor 17".

From the upper half of the page:

"It is preferable to adjust the image position and frequency with the monitor controls, rather than the computer software or utilities".

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Whats your system specs?

I'm on driver 441.87 and i have size tab. I can resize the screen giving those black bars. What does position tab have in there for you?

QT59DEd.png

BThOHRk.png

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
You would likely make such adjustments on the monitor itself.

Does the following link present the User Manual for your monitor?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/618608/Iiyama-Prolite-B2776hds.html?page=23#manual

(Verify that I found the correct manual.)

Screen adjustments begin on Page "Operating the monitor 17".

From the upper half of the page:

"It is preferable to adjust the image position and frequency with the monitor controls, rather than the computer software or utilities".

I think this is the right manual: https://www.manualsearcher.com/iiyama/prolite-b2776hds-b2/manual?p=15
but i already tried all the options in the display settings and i cant scale it down.

Whats your system specs?

I'm on driver 441.87 and i have size tab. I can resize the screen giving those black bars. What does position tab have in there for you?

QT59DEd.png

BThOHRk.png

im on a lenovo thinkpad w520, the model that has quadro 1000m

View: https://imgur.com/69JKkgS

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Clicking on the green icon doesn't do anything? Even for only the notebook screen? Possibly need to make the monitor the only display to adjust size?

Did you have the size tab previously or are you assuming that's what should be there from searching? Looks like to me (could be wrong), size tab is just a rename and trouble resizing could be because you're dealing with multiple displays.

What's the latest driver you can update to?

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Hay buddy. I have a 22~ Hitachi TV which I am currently using as a monitor. I'd love a 27". You wanna do a swap? My Hitachi includes a DVD player as well. Haven't used it as a TV for some time since Virgin Media disconnected me
sorry bro but no
Clicking on the green icon doesn't do anything? Even for only the notebook screen? Possibly need to make the monitor the only display to adjust size?

Did you have the size tab previously or are you assuming that's what should be there from searching? Looks like to me (could be wrong), size tab is just a rename and trouble resizing could be because you're dealing with multiple displays.

What's the latest driver you can update to?

i tried using the notebook screen only, and the "adjust desktop size and position" disappeared, i also tried extending the displays and only using the 27 monitor, and i cant see the size tab.
i also didnt have it previously i just saw it in a youtube video tutorial

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know when position was changed to size so being older hardware, there is a good chance software available for you hasn't made that change in those driver editions yet. What's the latest driver you can update to?

Still, position should work. Shouldn't disappear like you say. Your screenshot has it there so not sure what you mean. A screenshot showing this would help.

Ps. Why not try get used to 27"? Surely your nose isnt planted on the screen lol?

Last edited:

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
i guess il just use it as it is, it probably looks too big because i'm so used to the notebook's 15 inch display, and its a big jump, but i used to have a 24 inch monitor a while back and it felt like the perfect size, and when u think about it 27 is not that much bigger than 24.
thank you for your help!

dsmncihagt

Prominent
Feb 1, 2020
Why do you want to scale down your monitor? Does it feel too big? Can you move the monitor back? Or change the resolution so that the icons appear smaller.
Everything is readable and fine, its just that the monitor is way too big. But i am starting to get used to it and i know that it is actually better for multitasking and seeing more, and more clearly. but i still think 24' or 22' is better for me personally.

Reactions: bioject
That's a function of the monitor, not Windows. When faced with input at a different resolution than the screen, the monitor can stretch the image to fit (using a variety of different scaling algorithms), or it can just display 1 input pixel to 1 screen pixel. The latter will result in the black bars you're talking about.

While it can sometimes be done through the video card settings as has been described in the other replies, your best bet is to go through the monitor's settings and see if there's a way to disable stretch/expand.

Everything is readable and fine, its just that the monitor is way too big.
Try placing the monitor further away from you. That'll make its apparent size to your eye smaller. (Unfortunately it also makes the angular pixel size smaller. But that's what Windows' scaling is for.)

Solution