How can I set up a replacement router and not pick up old cfg?

DeeLee

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Trying to help a friend. Replacing her router, It keeps picking up the old network config. from the bad one. Now there is absolutely no way to remove or delete the settings. I cannot enter the router in any way and I've tried them all. The reset does nothing, even with the 30-30-30 attempt. I'm going to have to return the new router and get another one but I sure don't want that to happen again. There are two networks showing now and the only way she can get on the web is unplugging and rebooting the modem and then the router or else it just keeps her on local only. Online to tech help, no one can get me into the router to reset it. The reset button doesn't do what it should either.

How do you clear out what's there and set it up brand new without the bad settings it has?

Thanks, Donna

kanewolf

Titan
The only config a router could pick up would be from a cloud sync that the manufacturer has, which you would go through the web page to wipe out. Otherwise only the WAN IP address is configured automatically. Is this the same brand router as the old one?
Start with a factory reset WITHOUT the router connected to the modem. You should be able to connect via a wired connection.

DeeLee

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016

DeeLee

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Thanks, I did try resetting without being connected to the modem. It didn't work. The original router was an Arris and the new one is an Asus. I 'wish' I could get into it in order to use the menu reset instead of the back of the router. She can get on if she reboots each time. She is using Vista and Network & Sharing shows the old SSID and the old Arris router right along with a network (2) which is local only. It's a mess. I've tried deleting or removing the local or even merging but nothing works.

kanewolf

Titan
An Asus router is not picking up any "old" config. You need a different computer to work with this. There is something about the computer not the router. You need to do all setup in a WIRED mode. SSIDs aren't relevant to WIRED connectivity.

DeeLee

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
Yes, you are correct. She is running Vista and I have read via Google where Vista often refuses to either merge or delete a network in Network and sharing. I'm sorry, I did not explain myself better but I am using her desktop with ethernet to the router and router to the modem. I simply cannot remove the network(s) and I cannot reset the router to begin fresh. I am going to get a different router but I do not want it to automatically pick up the 'stuck' information. I want just to set up a whole new configuration. I'm hoping that will remove the bad setup. Am I wrong?