How can I setup two frontier dsl router/modems to have a isolated network?

blue20boy17

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
My goal here is to take our current Frontier DSL modem and let it keep doing it's thing, but also have a second one hooked up to it to make a private network on the same network. This private network has to be isolated completely somehow from the main one, but still has to be connected to the main one so it can have a connection in the first place.

The reason I want to do this is so that I can intentionally download viruses and malware to one or two old PCs, and practice removal methods. I want an isolated network so that I won't have to worry about the viruses and junk getting to the other computers in the house through the network.

You'll need second router, but not DSL, an ordinary "cable" router with RJ45 WAN interface. Put your "test lab" connected directly to the DSL router, and everything else behind a second router (connect that second router' WAN interface to first router' LAN interface).

That way, your "virus" network will appear as Internet to the rest of your network, and the second router will keep your main PCs isolated.