[SOLVED] How can I solve WiFi shakiness and Booting Issues?

Jul 10, 2020
Hello! I've had a couple problems I've been unable to solve, one lasting longer than the other, so I thought I'd ask here to see if I could get some answers from smarter minds than mine. Both issues are occurring on the PC I built myself 6 years ago, and the only parts that have been replaced are the GPU and replacing a TP-Link WiFi card with a USB WiFi adapter.

Specs:
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
  • RAM: 32 GB
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 GAMING (MS-7821)
  • PSU: Corsair bronze 600 Watt
  • SSD (boot drive): Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
  • Hard Drive: ST2000DM001-1ER164
  • WiFi Adapter: NETGEAR A7000 WiFi USB3.0 Adapter

The first problem has plagued me for years and I've tried a large variety of troubleshooting routes to try and get rid of it. The best way I can describe it is shaky WiFi. As a note, I do not have access to Ethernet in my apartment, so that is unfortunately not an option. Sometimes it's ping spikes, sometimes it's packet loss. For instance, when running FFXIV, the connection will hiccup before catching up, causing all of my button presses for a couple moments to be eaten. Or in Valorant, I will sporadically rubber band. I've also tried to play some fighting games (including the newest innovation in online Melee), but the connection is usually too unstable to be enjoyable. To solve this problem, I initially aimed to fix the WiFi signal and my connection to it. After testing the same signal connection on both my phone and laptop from the same location as my desktop, I concluded that my problem did not come from the WiFi signal itself or the stability of the connection. Turning to the desktop itself, I replaced the WiFi Adapter to what I currently have, and I updated the WiFi drivers on the motherboard. I've also tried to move the USB to different ports to see if anything worked. Through all my trying, my internet stability problems have never been solved. After all of my troubleshooting (most of which I haven't bothered to write here), I believe the issue may lie in the motherboard itself, which could possibly require replacing the part. I've resigned myself to just live with the problem, but I likely should have asked around sooner instead of giving up!

The second problem is more debilitating than the first, but I've always found workarounds. My computer in the past year or so has had sporadic booting problems. Most of the time it has had these problems, it gets stuck at the A2 upon booting, and I have to hard shut down the computer a few times to get it to get going. Two other times, it has gotten stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop. The more recent time, I eventually was able to break the loop by resetting my operating system once it gave me the chance (a month ago). Here in the past week, my computer has started to have yet another weird booting problem that behaves differently than before. The screen goes completely blank before the BIOS screen, but I am able to boot my computer normally after unplugging my Razer Blackwidow Chroma Stealth keyboard. I systematically unplugged all my devices attempting to boot after each one, and this seems to be the culprit. I've been able to boot my computer normally after unplugging the keyboard, but I am rather confused as to what's causing this issue or any of the booting issues.

If anyone could offer any other suggestions for what I can try to get these problems solved, I would love to hear them!

Solution
Hello! I've had a couple problems I've been unable to solve, one lasting longer than the other, so I thought I'd ask here to see if I could get some answers from smarter minds than mine. Both issues are occurring on the PC I built myself 6 years ago, and the only parts that have been replaced are the GPU and replacing a TP-Link WiFi card with a USB WiFi adapter.

Specs:
The first problem has...

kanewolf

Titan

Specs:
The first problem has plagued me for years and I've tried a large variety of troubleshooting routes to try and get rid of it. The best way I can describe it is shaky WiFi. As a note, I do not have access to Ethernet in my apartment, so that is unfortunately not an option. Sometimes it's ping spikes, sometimes it's packet loss. For instance, when running FFXIV, the connection will hiccup before catching up, causing all of my button presses for a couple moments to be eaten. Or in Valorant, I will sporadically rubber band. I've also tried to play some fighting games (including the newest innovation in online Melee), but the connection is usually too unstable to be enjoyable. To solve this problem, I initially aimed to fix the WiFi signal and my connection to it. After testing the same signal connection on both my phone and laptop from the same location as my desktop, I concluded that my problem did not come from the WiFi signal itself or the stability of the connection. Turning to the desktop itself, I replaced the WiFi Adapter to what I currently have, and I updated the WiFi drivers on the motherboard. I've also tried to move the USB to different ports to see if anything worked. Through all my trying, my internet stability problems have never been solved. After all of my troubleshooting (most of which I haven't bothered to write here), I believe the issue may lie in the motherboard itself, which could possibly require replacing the part. I've resigned myself to just live with the problem, but I likely should have asked around sooner instead of giving up!

The second problem is more debilitating than the first, but I've always found workarounds. My computer in the past year or so has had sporadic booting problems. Most of the time it has had these problems, it gets stuck at the A2 upon booting, and I have to hard shut down the computer a few times to get it to get going. Two other times, it has gotten stuck in a Preparing Automatic Repair loop. The more recent time, I eventually was able to break the loop by resetting my operating system once it gave me the chance (a month ago). Here in the past week, my computer has started to have yet another weird booting problem that behaves differently than before. The screen goes completely blank before the BIOS screen, but I am able to boot my computer normally after unplugging my Razer Blackwidow Chroma Stealth keyboard. I systematically unplugged all my devices attempting to boot after each one, and this seems to be the culprit. I've been able to boot my computer normally after unplugging the keyboard, but I am rather confused as to what's causing this issue or any of the booting issues.

If anyone could offer any other suggestions for what I can try to get these problems solved, I would love to hear them!
WIFI in an apartment is always going to be bad. There are just too many competing WIFI signals. If you can't run an ethernet cable, then I would recommend trying powerline network adapters.

Solution
Jul 10, 2020
WIFI in an apartment is always going to be bad. There are just too many competing WIFI signals. If you can't run an ethernet cable, then I would recommend trying powerline network adapters.
That’s a good idea to try, so I’ll look into that option. Are there any particular models you recommend?