[SOLVED] How can I spot my hardware's ip addresses.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I'm trying to find out what my indoor and outdoor wifi routers ip's are.

Any help would be appreciated.

You guessed it, I moved and got a new network installation at my residence, reluctantly the net tech guy did not mention to me any details about my setup.

Last edited:
Solution
Do you just want the management IP or are you looking for the WAN IP.

You likely can get the management IP by doing a simple tracert 8.8.8.8

The address in hop 1 will be the toto router and hop 2 will be the ubiquiti router....unless it is running in bridge mode.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I might need some extra advice for making this tech work well for me, after I get to managing it.

Like for instance I see the specs say the wan port is gigabit and at the moment I'm only getting 100Mb/s, well I'll get to that part later.

The address in hop 1 will be the toto router and hop 2 will be the ubiquiti router....unless it is running in bridge mode.

Solution

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

I want to reset the toto router so that I could manage it from my pc instead of my smartphone, I already know the toto links ip, and to reconfigre the toto link with perfect settings I would require the ubiquiti's ip, without altering how it's setup.

Seems like the way to go could you please extrapolate how I go about doing that what you mentioned (tracert 8.8.8.8 command)?

Just open a cmd window and key the command in.

The other option if you get into the toto router is to just leave it in the default setup and the ubiquiti router will give the WAN interface a IP. It will also give you the IP of the ubiquti router as the wan gateway. Where exactly you can see this you would have to look up in the manual or just search around the menus. I don't know about toto routers but every other router I have seen lets you see the wan ip and gateway.

The only thing you need to worry about when you have 2 routers is they both use the same ip range....ie something like 192.168.0.1. You would then need to change the toto router to some other lan range.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

Never mind I've figured it out how to run a trace route, and if I can't get to the ubiquiti's login page with hop 2's ip, does that mean it's running in bridge mode?

Now what?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

The other option if you get into the toto router is to just leave it in the default setup and the ubiquiti router will give the WAN interface a IP. It will also give you the IP of the ubiquti router as the wan gateway. Where exactly you can see this you would have to look up in the manual or just search around the menus. I don't know about toto routers but every other router I have seen lets you see the wan ip and gateway.

The only thing you need to worry about when you have 2 routers is they both use the same ip range....ie something like 192.168.0.1. You would then need to change the toto router to some other lan range.

So, you reckon if I made the toto reset and at default it should somewhere under wan mention the gateway ip? well what if it doesn't then im' going to be offline cause if i don't know the ip I can't reconfigure it and make it work as it is now but with managed login.

What is bridge mode and how does that affect what i'm trying to accomplish?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019

So, you reckon if I made the toto reset and at default it should somewhere under wan mention the gateway ip? well what if it doesn't then im' going to be offline cause if i don't know the ip I can't reconfigure it and make it work as it is now but with managed login.

What is bridge mode and how does that affect what i'm trying to accomplish?

Hard to say. If it is actually in bridge mode then hop 2 will be the ISP first router. You might be able to tell by the latency. Generally if the device is in your house you will see maybe 3ms at the most. If it is the ISP router on a wireless connection you likely will see at least 10ms. If you have a fiber to the house this trick doesn't work since many times you get under 3ms all the way to the ISP.

When it is in bridge mode it is basically running as a modem

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Maybe unplug the toto device and plug your pc directly into the outdoor router and see what happens. You should then see the IP addresses because it will give them to your pc rather than the toto router.

Thanks very much for your help so far.

Ok if I plug the outdoor router directly into the pc nothing happens, it's not connecting and doesn't give me anything (that was the 1st thing I did, and that's exactly why I'm here asking for advice, what does it mean if there is no direct con possible with the ubiquiti via pc?

That is kinda strange.

If you do IPCONFIG /all on the PC do you see a IP address or do you get 169.x.x.x.

This makes it more likely that the ubiquiti device is running in bridge mode and the ISP has some restriction on giving your pc a IP. This is a very common problem with a cable modem, it will have the router mac address locked to it and not allow a PC to function. You must reboot the cable modem every time you swap what you have plugged into it. I have no clue if that trick will work.

Maybe call the ISP and see if the can answer some basic questions like this. They should know if the roof box is running as a router or a bridge/modem. It depends on the exact model but things that run airos from ubiquiti are quite advanced devices and have many way to run them.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
That is kinda strange.

If you do IPCONFIG /all on the PC do you see a IP address or do you get 169.x.x.x.

This makes it more likely that the ubiquiti device is running in bridge mode and the ISP has some restriction on giving your pc a IP. This is a very common problem with a cable modem, it will have the router mac address locked to it and not allow a PC to function. You must reboot the cable modem every time you swap what you have plugged into it. I have no clue if that trick will work.

Maybe call the ISP and see if the can answer some basic questions like this. They should know if the roof box is running as a router or a bridge/modem. It depends on the exact model but things that run airos from ubiquiti are quite advanced devices and have many way to run them.

With the setup running of the toto link I do get IP addresses running the command: IPCONFIG/all.

It's not 169.x.x.x

Well only way out of this is to go and reset the toto, if you don't hear from me again, it's because I have to get support in here and set my hardware up properly, and not this way that it is now.

Itched to see what happens, hopefully it just works as expected and the Ubiquiti gives me the gateway ip.