How can I start learning programming?

conormcgregor809

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Hi! So, I am thinking of becoming a programmer. Now, the thing is that I am a senior at high school almost going to college. And I have no knowledge about programming NOTHING! Should I start with reviewing algebra? Since I forgot a lot about it, and they tell me that math is ''important'' in order to become a good programmer. So, should I start reading books about programming or self teach from the beginning algebra before I get to the hard stuff in college? By this I mean Calculus and things like that. You don't have to give me a complex answer. Thank you!

Solution

Yes, the major diff between the two language is python is an interpreted language -> one sentence you type, it usually need many lines of C++ code to achieve the same functionality. That is why I recommend python to start with. Let me know how it goes :)
For programing basics, math is not that much important. Later, yes, it comes handy, for example to understand differences in algorithms quality. Get a book that describes certain programing language (most likely C++ this days) for beginners, and read it. You should not have much problems understanding it, even if your math skill is a bit 'rusty'.

IMO, C++ is just hard for beginner. However, if he wants to grasp programming really well, C++ is one of the most powerful languages. I recommend wait until he has some exposure.

conormcgregor809

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
So, should I start with python? I just want a good way to start and understand how things works in the art of programming. I want to become really good and be above average programmers. I don't care what it takes.. I just want a good way to start. Python is good for beginners then?

Yes, the major diff between the two language is python is an interpreted language -> one sentence you type, it usually need many lines of C++ code to achieve the same functionality. That is why I recommend python to start with. Let me know how it goes :)

Solution