[SOLVED] How can I take off my vrm heatsink?

Panos21sonic

Prominent
Jan 5, 2020
I have a gigabyte aorus b450m, and I want to paint my vrm heatsink. How can I do that? Also, since I have a r5 5600x, will the temps be sufficient with the paint?

Solution
I have a gigabyte aorus b450m, and I want to paint my vrm heatsink. How can I do that? Also, since I have a r5 5600x, will the temps be sufficient with the paint?
Check the backside of the board for screws that mount it down. They may use plastic clips instead, usually the split kind that you squeeze together and push through the board. Once you get it off be careful of the thermal pad(s). They're reuseable, just don't let them get torn too badly.

In rare cases the heatsink might be held on with thermal conductive double sided tape. Don't try removing that kind unless you have more tape to put it back on with. Mask off the board all around instead.

Paint may inhibit heat transfer but I wouldn't worry too much about it...

Ds_Tech

Great
Jan 25, 2021
Normal paint may increase temp in your VRM.
Heatsinks required special coating which doesn't effect temperatures.
Search in YouTube there are videos regarding heatsink cpu cooler paint you will get the idea.

Check the backside of the board for screws that mount it down. They may use plastic clips instead, usually the split kind that you squeeze together and push through the board. Once you get it off be careful of the thermal pad(s). They're reuseable, just don't let them get torn too badly.

In rare cases the heatsink might be held on with thermal conductive double sided tape. Don't try removing that kind unless you have more tape to put it back on with. Mask off the board all around instead.

Paint may inhibit heat transfer but I wouldn't worry too much about it affecting heat sink performance enough to matter. Painting just the topside of the heatsink would make even less an effect on transfer. In any case, don't paint the surfaces that contact the FET's, where the thermal pads usually are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ds_Tech
Solution