[SOLVED] How can I tell if my GPU is dead?

Jan 6, 2021
Like a lot of people, I'm making the jump from console to pc gaming this year and it has been about a week of trying to figure out what's wrong with my build.
Parts list

Mother board
Asrock m450-hdv
Psu
Seasonic bronze 550W
Cpu
Ryzen core 5
Ram
Oloy 8×2gb
GPU
Asrock challenger D
Memory
Some ssd and a hard drive I slept from an office pc

As I understand it, my cpu doesn't have and integrated gpu so it won't output video without a gpu. All the fans spin up and all outer ports are powered for sure. I already put in a replacement motherboard bc I thought that was the problem but no video is still being outputed. I had a computer shop double check the build so I put it together correct. Please help :(

Solution
Like a lot of people, I'm making the jump from console to pc gaming this year and it has been about a week of trying to figure out what's wrong with my build.
Parts list

Mother board
Asrock m450-hdv
Psu
Seasonic bronze 550W
Cpu
Ryzen core 5
Ram
Oloy 8×2gb
GPU
Asrock challenger D
Memory

As I understand it, my cpu doesn't have and integrated gpu so it won't output video without a gpu. All the fans spin up and all outer ports are powered for sure. I already put in a replacement motherboard bc I thought that was the problem but no video is still being outputed. I had a computer shop double check the build so I put it together correct. Please help :(
The drives that you slept from...
Hi Ummmyes.

You had a computer shop look at it and they couldn't find the problem? Never go back to that computer shop ever again.

You're missing a lot of information on your specs.

What is your RAM speed?

What is your CPU?

Do you have a RX 5700 XT as GPU?

What is the Seasonic PSU model? If this is an old seasonic bronze model that is like 7 years old paired with a 5700 XT it could be your issue.

And to know if your GPU is fine just test it in another system or test another GPU in your system.

Jan 6, 2021

erifino10

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Hi Ummmyes.

You had a computer shop look at it and they couldn't find the problem? Never go back to that computer shop ever again.

You're missing a lot of information on your specs.

What is your RAM speed?

What is your CPU?

Do you have a RX 5700 XT as GPU?

What is the Seasonic PSU model? If this is an old seasonic bronze model that is like 7 years old paired with a 5700 XT it could be your issue.

And to know if your GPU is fine just test it in another system or test another GPU in your system.
if im not mistaken, challenger series gpus only got to 5600 xt and 5500 xt

Last edited:
Reactions: Nemesia

erifino10

Commendable
Jul 16, 2018
Yes with every combo of slot and stick. Also how would I update the bios on a motherboard with no video output
its unlikely the bios since you have a 2nd gen cpu, and yeah, you might need to borrow your friend's and test everything there, but why not just go to the store and ask them to test every component on a different pc, and if everything works, it might be the cpu that
has problems

poorbugger

Distinguished
Parts list

Mother board
Asrock m450-hdv
Psu
Seasonic bronze 550W
Cpu
Ryzen core 5
Ram
Oloy 8×2gb
GPU
Asrock challenger D
Memory

The drives that you slept from the office pc, have they been reformatted? If not, they're likely the cause of your problems since conflicting drivers.

Solution