How can i tell if my Graphics Card is DOA

G

Today I unboxed my new gaming comp form IBUYPOWER and the things not working. All of hte parts inside were hooked up ahead of time so I assume thats not the problem and the external parts are all hooked up correctly aswell. The computer turns on, lights up and hte fans roar away but i cant get a signal on my monitor from the comp. The monitor is brand new and i just tried it on a different computer and it worked so the only thing i can think of is the graphics card is DOA. The fan on the card spins but I cant get any signal from it. Any advice to help me out would be great.

Graphics Card - ATI Radeon 5970 2GB
MOtherboard - ASUS P6T SE
Power Supply - 850 watt XFX Power Sup
Memory - 6gb DDR3-1333 Corsair
Hard Drive - 1 TB
OS - Windows 7
Liquid CPU Cooling System

If you just got it, it should have some kind of warranty and tech support. I recommend you call them first, they should be able to tell you exactly what to do. We can offer ideas, but don't do anything that will void your warranty.

You've confirmed the monitor works, so it could be a DOA GPU, or an incorrect BIOS setting, or an improperly seated GPU, or the power lead(s) could be connected improperly. Or any of many other possibilities.

kcole4001

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
You should try reseating all cards first.
A couple of years ago I bought a new case, mobo, and GPU. When it arrived, after installing the drives, etc. it powered up fine but no video at all.

Eventually, I checked all of the cards and the graphics card wasn't quite seated fully.
It may have been due to rough handling, I may have managed to bump it enough to dislodge the card, or they may have just not pushed hard enough on original installation.

At any rate, it's a simple thing to check to remove that as a possibility.
Hope that's all it is.

Exactly! Don't let frustration void a warranty on a nice computer. Call them first. We can have you do all sorts of things like reset the card check plugs, etc, etc. But I wouldn't crack open the case if it is new.

TRENDING THREADS