[SOLVED] How can I tell if my i9 9900k is damaged from heat

Oct 9, 2019
Hello, for the last 6 months, I have used the i9 9900k with a stock cooler at stock speeds. During gaming, (around 3 hours a day) the cpu would be around 80-90c and sometimes go above 90 when it spiked and in some occasions would hit 100c. I have a Kraken x62 arriving in the mail today (FINALLY), though I am wondering if it is too late and the Damage has already been done. My cpu seems to be running fine, but how could I check or see if it has been damaged and it's already too late. (also, if it was safe at the temperature it was at).

Solution
CPUs are generally designed to throttle their performance when they get hot to prevent damage....so I tend to doubt you damaged it.

Although, you could run a benchmark on it and make sure it performs up to snuff if you are concerned.

Also Tjunction on that CPU is 100C max.
CPUs are generally designed to throttle their performance when they get hot to prevent damage....so I tend to doubt you damaged it.

Although, you could run a benchmark on it and make sure it performs up to snuff if you are concerned.

Also Tjunction on that CPU is 100C max.

Reactions: SkyVirus
Solution

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
If a CPU is "damaged" from heat it won't work anymore. The only thing you could have done by running it at those high temperatures is take a bit of time off of its life. Generally CPUs are the most reliable part in a system so there is nothing to worry about.

Reactions: MDemerse