[SOLVED] How can I tell if my Monitor is simulated or real 1 ms?

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018
Hello everyone! First of all don't know if there's such a thing as simulated or real deal 1ms monitor. This was something a friend of mine said. Anyways, recently I bought a new monitor for my rig. I put the model name and specs at the and of the thread. It's nothing fancy. I mainly use it for casual gaming and 60 Hz 1ms monitor and a good-looking screen was all I wanted. On the site that I bought, it says it's 60 hz and 1ms. But as the title suggests, is there a sure way I can tell if it's a 1 ms monitor or not? There's an option in monitor settings for changing the response time. It can be changed to ''Off, Normal, Fast and Fastest''. Now I jiggled around with that setting and it's on NORMAL right now and I don't know if the response time is 1ms or not. If I try to use it on FASTEST, some thumbnail previews on Youtube gets laggy-choppy or something and I think it gets laggy all around. I was hoping that you guys would clear all that up for me. Sorry for being long and annoying. Thank you in advance!

LG 22MK400H-B 75Hz 1MS Gaming Monitor

Last edited:
Solution
There's no such thing as simulated and all response times are best possible so they are real but that doesn't mean it's without inverse ghosting. But it does not matter if it's 1ms or not because it's only 60hz, not to mention response time just needs to be fast enough to not ghost. If you aren't ghosting, then it makes no difference what the number is. Overdrive settings do not affect choppyness or lag. Fastest typically makes you inverse ghost.
There's no such thing as simulated and all response times are best possible so they are real but that doesn't mean it's without inverse ghosting. But it does not matter if it's 1ms or not because it's only 60hz, not to mention response time just needs to be fast enough to not ghost. If you aren't ghosting, then it makes no difference what the number is. Overdrive settings do not affect choppyness or lag. Fastest typically makes you inverse ghost.

Solution

cottoneyesergo

Honorable
Jun 30, 2018

So what should I stick with? Looks like ''Fast'' option is the best of both worlds, I couldn't notice any ghosting or choppyness. Or am I to understand that none of it really matters because it's just 60 hz as you have just said? Dang it looks like I should've just bought a bigger screen with 5 ms or something rather than wasting money this one eh? The only reason I bought 60hz 1ms is because 60 fps is the most consistent fps I can get from my rig and the 1ms factor might help in terms of image fluidity or whatever it is, sure you got my point lol.

It does matter because it affects ghosting. You go with the setting that works the best. Too much and it overshoots, too less and you ghost. Moving the mouse cursor over white or scrolling black text on white should be the easiest to see the difference between settings as it's changing colors from black to white.

The monitors with 5ms typically cost the same. It's just marketing.