How can i tell if the CPU is right for my motherboard?

geekly

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I recently blew the dust off an old desktop and bought a new hard drive for it. The idea was so i am able to play the same online game as i do on my more up to date desktop. the game i play is Eudemons Online. With the old computer, as soon as i log into the game its pretty bad lag (its not internet speed or connection speed). with the reletivly new computer i suffer no lag at all even with multi clients on. ok so here is my question...

To get the game to run without lag would the best thing to do be get a new graphics card.. or a better CPU? stats for the laggy computer are:

AMD sempron(tm Dual Core
Processor 2100
1.81ghz. 3.00 GB ram
windows xp
Nividia riva tnt2 model 64/ model64 pro

Specs for the computer thats runs the game without lag:

Intel(R)
Pentium(r) D CPU 3.00 GHz
3.00GHz 2GB ram
NIVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS

any help appreciated.. if more info needed ill be checking back in next couple hours.. thanks

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished

You will almost always see greater performance increases when upgrading the GPU over the CPU. I'd say upgrade both if you can. If you can only upgrade one, get a better GPU. The problem is, your CPU will start to slow you down if you get much more powerful graphics card.

Generally though, get the best GPU your power supply can handle to get the biggest performance jump. I don't know how much you want to put into that old computer. Post the motherboard model if you can, that will help decide what you can use.

DonQuixoteMC

amd semperon 2100 is am2 socket and reason for its appauling behavior it is by far amds slowest proccessor

pentium 2 is a duel core but better

depending on what board your using check asus gigabyte etc see if theres a bios flash to core duo aviable most likely core duo 6000 series would work which is better then pentium d

a core duo 6000 and 7750 and a 500w corsair

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139027

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131488

if you can upgrade to core duo 775 socket then peformance jump with parts should be a hearty step up