[SOLVED] How can I tell whats wrong with my pc?

Aug 3, 2021
So about 6 months to a year ago now my pc started crashing quite consistently. It mostly started after we had a few power outages. The crashing gradually got worse until at this point its just dead. The power button doesn't click and no fans seem to spin to life. It said it was a ram problem when it started giving me errors but now im hesitant to buy new ram if it actually is my motherboard that went bad. Any ideas on how I can tell what the issue is? I cant turn it on since its just dead.

Solution
I am not familiar with that psu.
But, unless you know it to be of good quality, that is what I would suspect first.

You are looking at repair or replace.
What is this pc used for?

On diagnosis, see if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.
Or, buy a replacement of sufficient power that you would use in a new build.
Buy from a shop with a good return policy. Expect to pay a 15% return fee.

You will find it easier to take everything out of the case to test with.
That eliminates some possibilities of short issues.

Try testing with a single ram stick to see if you get into the bios.
Your motherboard manual will identify the slot to use with just one ram stick.

You start the motherboard by a momentary short of the two PWR...
Aug 3, 2021
Please list your full system specs, cpu, gpu, motherboard etc.
Just tested the pc for the first time in ages and it still is having the same problem, no lights, no signal to the TV. Not even a click when pressing rhe power button. However I tried moving the little cmos pin and only when I move it to clear and run it will it start but still without a display. Fans run and lights turn on but as soon as I take it off clear it won't even show a sign that its fixable

Just tested the pc for the first time in ages and it still is having the same problem, no lights, no signal to the TV. Not even a click when pressing rhe power button. However I tried moving the little cmos pin and only when I move it to clear and run it will it start but still without a display. Fans run and lights turn on but as soon as I take it off clear it won't even show a sign that its fixable
Replace the bios bat.....cheap test.

If no help unplug the gpu....test.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Aug 3, 2021
Replace the bios bat.....cheap test.

If no help unplug the gpu....test.
Same issue. I have an old pc that I was able to test the bat with no change, I tried unplugging the gpu and that also had no change. Ive been saying it was a fried motherboard for a while but I just want to know for sure before I go out spending thousands on a new pc. It would be worth it but $200 for a new motherboard and ram sounds better than $3000 for a new pc

First thing I do on older computers is take it apart.clean it. Clean contacts with an eraser on memory and video card , and reassemble.
Test it with a known working power supply. even if you just lay it beside or on top of the case. And do not mix wires from one power supply with another.
The hard drive is probably corrupted, so once it boots and is running ,Re- install a fresh new copy of windows.

I am not familiar with that psu.
But, unless you know it to be of good quality, that is what I would suspect first.

You are looking at repair or replace.
What is this pc used for?

On diagnosis, see if you can't borrow a known good psu to test with.
Or, buy a replacement of sufficient power that you would use in a new build.
Buy from a shop with a good return policy. Expect to pay a 15% return fee.

You will find it easier to take everything out of the case to test with.
That eliminates some possibilities of short issues.

Try testing with a single ram stick to see if you get into the bios.
Your motherboard manual will identify the slot to use with just one ram stick.

You start the motherboard by a momentary short of the two PWR pins.

As to a new build,
A I3-12100 will cost something like $160.
It has twice the batch performance and twice the single thread performance as your current processor.
32gb of ddr4 ram will be about $100
A B660 motherboard is about $150.

Nowhere near $3000 today.

Solution