How can i test if my motherboard is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

shinbet

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
Hi
I have a Gigabyte motherboard ( GA-965P-DQ6 ) and an intel core2 duo (e6600) CPU

Both are around 5 years old, and were working.

Long story short story, MY pc wont turn on.
I replaced the Power supply, and no change. no light for the power switch, no beeps. nothing!

I wondering whats next in the supply chain? I'm assuming the motherboard.
Should there be some signal or beep when the PC turns on, that the motherboard doesnt respond?

Visually, i dont see any melt downs or burnt out parts of the motherboard.. How can I test it?

Any ideas, I would be very grateful

Thanks

zhengiii

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
turn on computer without ram cartridges and the motherboard is supposed to beep, if it doesn't then chances are its dead. my motherboard died recently and the motherboard did not beep when i did this.

shinbet

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

I've ordered a Power supply tester.. Cant imagine that the replacement is also non functional, though lightning can strike twice obviously

When you say start with just the CPU does that mean , i remove all RAM, video card, , and all PSU connections to the motherboard?

Reactions: Shane Anthony

shinbet

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Well as embarrassed as i am to admit it,
When I took your advice and plugged all internals out, and started just with motherboard/cpu
I realized that the motherboard/psu connector was the wrong way round
Though i know these things are keyed, I thought just to work on 180 degree direction over the other.
I did not realize that only one side is actually compatible with the PSU and one with motherboard

Thank you very much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.